- A Facebook video shows a young black man being threatened by a Jacksonville, Florida, sheriff’s officer for jaywalking without an ID.
- On June 20, Devonte Shipman, 21, and his friend were crossing the street when they were stopped by Sheriff’s Officer J.S. Bolden.
- In the video, the officer demands they come over to his police car, which Shipman at first refuses. Bolden then accuses the two of “resisting without violence” and says, “If you don’t, I’m going to put you in jail.”
- The video, which has nearly 500,000 views as of Tuesday afternoon, shows the officer asking for identification as they walk to the car.
- When Shipman informs Bolden that he doesn’t have any, the officer cites it as another infraction and claims “I can detain you for seven hours until I figure out who you are.”
- Shipman says he tried to remain calm and respectful because he was fearful of the scene turning violent. Read more (6/27/17)