“About a week before we all got on the plane, I got to talking with this man in a bar in Sydney. He was American, too. Doctor. I’ve been on some benders in my time, but this guy — he was going for an all time record. Turns out this guy has a son. His son’s a doctor, too. They had some kind of big time falling out. The guy knew it was his fault even though his son was back in the States thinking the same damn thing.”
About a week before we all got on the plane, I got to talking with this man in a bar in Sydney. He was an American too… a doctor. I’ve been on some benders in my time, but this guy… he was going for an all-time record. Turns out, this guy has a son… son’s a doctor too. They’d had some kind of big time falling out. The guy knew it was his fault, even though his son was back in the States thinking the same damn thing. See, kids are like dogs. You knock ‘em around enough, they’ll think they did something to deserve it. Anyway…
Evey time I talk about LOST there is someone who ask some of these questions so I decided to make a frequently asked questions post:
- How did a polar bear arrive to a tropical island? The Dharma Initiative brought the polar bears among other animals for their experiments. After the Dharma Initiative was destroyed all the animals started to live free in the jungle. The Dharma Initiative got this kind of bears genetically modifying regular polar bears, that’s why they can survive in a tropical climate.
- Why is there a bird that says “Hurley”? The bird has an unusual appearance and is bigger than regular birds because is one of Dharma’s genetically modified animals. The bird does not say “Hurley”, the fact that its caw sound similar to Hugo’s nickname is just a coincidence. Note also that the other characters in that scene don’t think the bird’s caw sounds like Hugo’s nickname, only him.
- Why do pregnant women die in the island? This is a consequence of The Incident. After a huge amount of electromagnetic energy was released from inside The Island a residual energy was left in the surface which over the years caused the immune system illness that kills these women. This is also a paradox (both time and literary) because Juliet was the one who detonated the bomb that caused the energy leak (the leak caused by the Dharma perforation was small). Juliet’s reason to be in The Island was to fix a problem that would have never existed if she never went to The Island in the first place.
- Why have they to push the button every 108 minutes? After The Incident an electromagnetic charge is continuously accumulating at The Swan. The Dharma Initative designed a system in which pushing that button discharges the electric buildup before it becomes dangerous. It has to be done every 108 minutes because that’s the time it takes for the buildup to reach dangerous levels. If the button is not pushed the energy is released which in big amounts would not only affect The Island but the entire world. The Dharma Initiative also installed a false-safe mechanism to use as an emergency in case pushing the button failed. This is the mechanism that Desmond activates at the end of season 2. The false-safe mechanism was meant to seal the leak of energy coming from inside of The Island but its creators were unsure which could be the consequences or if it would safely work out.
- Why was Walt special? He was born with psychic powers, he can summon animals and have premonitions. He probably has more powers that weren’t shown considering that Walt himslef seems to not be aware of his own powers. These powers are why The Others were so interested in making him one of them but Walt didn’t want to join and was hostile towards them. The Others became scared that Walt could hurt them and decided to let him go with his dad (after using Michael to get Jack, Kate and Sawyer).
- What do The Numbers mean? Jacob assigned one number from 1 to 360 to each candidate to Protector Of The Island. The Numbers (4 8 15 16 23 42) represent each one of the last 6 remaining candidates. The Numbers are just Jacob’s method to organise his candidate system and have no special meaning.
- Why did The Numbers bring Hurley bad luck? They didn’t. Many characters tried to explain to him The Numbers weren’t cursed and weren’t related to his bad luck strike. The Numbers only had power over Hurley because he belived they had, is psychological. Hurley was destined to be in The Island and he would have end up there no matter what. If he had ignored The Numbers that wouldn’t have changed anything.
- Why were The Numbers being broadcasted from The Island’s radio station? The Numbers are the core numerical value of the Valenzetti Equation which the Dharma Initiative was studying. They were broadcasting them to the other members of the Initiative that were off The Island. Note: The Valenzetti Equation was made up for the show and is not part of any real scientific theory
- Why are The Numbers in the door of The Sawn and why are The Numbers the code you have to enter in the computer? The Numbers were engraved in the hatch simply because that is the serial number. Then when they needed a code for the computer they decided to use the number that is in the door because is easier to remember since is already there. Is like when in the computer of your work or your school they use as a password the floor number or similar.
- If The Numbers don’t have a especial power, why do they appear all the time? They have different meanings (for Jacob, Dharma, Hurley) despite being the same numbers to reinforce the constant theme on the show that everything is connected in one way or another. They also represent the necessity we humans have to search for patterns where there aren’t, to try to find an explanation for chaos and feel better. The Numbers appear very often in the background of the show too as easter eggs for fans who enjoy little details.
- Were they dead the whole time? No, they were not dead. They are dead only in the flash sideways universe which is a non-physical place to help them prepare for what comes after death. Which is this place exactly (purgatory/ limbo/ etc.) or what comes next (heaven/ reincarnation/ etc.) is vague on purpose as the show writers wanted each viewer to interpret this according to their personal beliefs.
- Does this mean all the characters are dead at the end of the show? No, the fact that all the main characters are in the flash sideways doesn’t mean they all died at the end of the show. Sawyer, Kate, Claire, Hurley, Desmond, Penny, Rose, Bernard and Ben are all alive when the show ends but they appear in the flash sideways with all the characters whose deaths we have seen on the show. This is because in this place time doesn’t exists. Every time a character has died in the show they (their souls/ minds/ etc. according to your beliefs) went to this place and Sawyer, Kate, Claire and co. will keep living their lives (after what we have seen in the final season) and when they are old and unavoidabily die they will go to this place too but the people who were already there don’t feel like they have been waiting despite in the physical world many years have passed.
- If Sawyer, Kate, Claire and etc. all live many years after what we have seen in the finale why their “ghosts” look young? They all look like the age they had in The Island because those were the most important times of their lifes. Their appearance has nothing to do with the age they have when they die. They could die at 90 years old and they would still appear in the flash sideways with the age they had in The Island.