Warning: Spoilers! And I wrote this on the spur, so there might be grammatical errors.
1. I enjoyed the story. Yeah, people will say it recycles from the trilogy, but come on, people. Why are you surprised? Bioware recycles their plotlines all the time. It’s pretty much the same in all of their games. A protagonist gains special abilities and leads a Ragtag Bunch of Misfits team to defeat a big threat. And I’m not bothered by that. Sometimes familiarity in your franchise is good, just as long as you do new things to the formula, and I think they do.
What interested me the most was the theme of starting over. A lot of people in the Andromeda Initiative were former criminals or outcasts. The reason they joined was to start a new life, and it’s explored in the main questlines, the loyalty quests, and numerous side quests. I was worried about the game talking about colonization since humans are looking for a new home, but I was pleasantly surprised that the game made it clear that Andromeda is the angara’s home first, and humans and other Milky Way species will have to work with them. Thank god! No Mightey Whitey trope this time!
2. Ryder as the player character. I honestly never thought I would love Ryder as much as I did when I played the game. Sure, no one will ever replace Commander Shepard, but Ryder isn’t meant to replace the Commander, rather show a different perspective in a new story. Commander Shepard is the hero we want to be while Ryder is more of a relatable character. Ryder has to learn through the entire game how to be a leader while going through the obstacles of their inexperience and youth so people will take them seriously. And it was compelling, uplifting, and at times amusing to see them become a hero in their own right and step out of their father’s shadow.
Also Sara and Scott felt like their own person. In the original trilogy, the player character is pretty much the same no matter what gender. But sometimes the dialogue can be different depending on if you play a male Ryder or a female Ryder. That’s because they are two different people who have had their own experiences and personalities. That really adds to the replay value!
3. Female aliens everywhere! One of my major issues with the original trilogy was the lack of female Turians, krogans, and salarians. Sure we had asari an all-female race, and female quarians, but it felt weird that we met so many aliens with very few ladies. Not only do we get a female Turian squadmate, we also get plenty of lady alien NPCs gathered everywhere for random quests. We also have Kesh who works at the Nexus. And we get to see female salarians! And they kind of look the same as male salarians except with different voices. Thank god! It would’ve been horrifying to see salarians with boobs. Uh! And I’m pretty sure there were just as many female angara NPCs as there were males.
4. The romances. Especially the queer ones. One of the things I love about Bioware games are the romance paths. Bonus points if there is a queer option. And as of patch 1.08, this game has the most number of queer romances in any Bioware game. I think my two favorite romance paths are with Sara and Vetra and Jaal and Scott. While representation for the LGBT community is improving in media, there’s no denying we still have a long way to go. And after again the crap year 2016 where we had a huge number of queer women characters die in tv shows, it was so wonderful to have a healthy and happy relationship between two women when I first played the game. And even if it wasn’t added until the patch, the romance between Jaal and Scott is absolutely sweet since we see two men show a lot of love and affection for each other which is rare to see in media.
5. The Tempest Family. I adore every single character on the Tempest, and they really did feel like a family once you played further into the game. I am a sucker for found families, and to see these people who are trying to find a home ending up finding a home with each other just gives me so many feels!
Since there’s not really a huge crew in the ship like in the original trilogy when Shepard had an army of humans. In Andromeda, we have six squad mates, four additional crew members, and Ryder. And I think it made the family more intimate. It’s like our own little family lives on the Tempest.
Also I liked how there were more quests spread out throughout the game with the squad which I think was lacking in Inquisition. Plus. Movie Night is the best scene ever!
6. In my opinion, the side quests were fun. I think this was one thing they improved from Inquisition. Inquisition side quests just felt like a bunch of fetch quests that got kind of boring pretty quick, and didn’t really add to the overall story. Some highlights from Andromeda were: Kadara, the angara reincarnation questline, the Turian jailed for murder, the anti-AI group, meeting Zaeed’s son, and those kids sending out a distress signal for a new light for their weed plant. HAHA!
They were compelling in their own right and included cut scenes instead of the Inquisitor going to some location like in Skyrim to do a thing come back to the quest giver saying, “I did the thing.” “Ok, good.”
7. Unlike in Inquisition, there’s actual payoff for some of the quests you do. I don’t mean to be mean to Inquisition, I still love the game, but remember when we were promised that you had to build your forces up in order to defend against the main threat. Yeah, you built forces to get influence points to gain perks, and that’s it.
In Andromeda, while, yes. It’s not the same level as Mass Effect 2. When you actually complete quests and help out leaders, you can get different results during the final battle. Like, there’s a chance Captain Dunn may not survive.
Also, when you get 100% viability on all the planets, you get a special surprise on Habitat 7- being told that it will one day be habitable because of our efforts. Sure it was a side quest, but it just felt so rewarding!
8. The climax was actually fulfilling and exciting. Again, something else Inquisition was lacking in. Seriously, when I first played Andromeda, I legit gasped when the archon was taking control of SAM node. The villain was actually living up to his threatening nature!
Just when we think we got everything under control, and are about to find Meridian, the Archon fucks shit up, and our sibling has to step up to save the day. Then we have to gather people we helped out and prepare for a final battle, and Ryder can finally prove themselves as a true Pathfinder and kick the Archon’s ass once and for all. People are saying the ending was as disappointing as ME3’s? Pfft…What are you even talking about?
9. The angara. Bioware never fails to make me love an entire fictional species. Yeah, it feels a bit off that they pretty much have the same faces and the same 3 voice actors, but I really do love their culture.And I appreciate that they were clearly coded as POC while Andromeda didn’t go through with the whole Mighty Whitey Trope. The game wants you to respect their culture and to respect their home.
I love the angaran people are open about their feelings, I love how their religion believes in reincarnation, I love how we see angaran scientists, soldiers, merchants, mercenaries, and civilians. Also Aya and Hivraal are absolutely gorgeous!
And when Jaal finds out his people were created by the Kett, I was worried it was going to go the Dalish elves route, but Jaal points out that it doesn’t change anything about the angara. They are still their own people. And that was such an uplifting message.
10. The overall light-hearted tone. I wrote a small post that got a good number of notes. (Probably the biggest number I’ve ever gotten), so to quote: “There was always this sense of hope and optimism about finding a new home. ‘Yeah, things may have gone totally wrong, but that doesn’t mean we can’t make them better’ was the overall message I got.
And really, with so many bad things happening in the world right now and too much of our entertainment supposedly being our escapism being dark for the sake of dark, this was something I think a lot of us needed.”
Mass Effect 3 had its light-hearted moments, and I love it, but man, that game was emotional draining.
It’s a bit discouraging to love something so much and get recommended videos on youtube pointing out the same flaws of that certain game, and why they thought it was a huge disappointment. Do I agree with some of their criticisms? Sure. Does the history behind the production explain the flaws? Oh absolutely.
But people seem to forget that the original Mass Effect trilogy wasn’t without its flaws. I mean, sure everyone can agree on the Mass Effect 3 ending, but I could make a list of all the issues I have with the other Bioware games including Dragon Age: Inquisition (which despite winning Game of the Year, kind of suffers the same problems Andromeda had).
So yeah, after the crap year of 2016, I was so excited to get a newly-released game that made me happy. And still makes me happy, and makes me in the mood to play another Ryder.
what do u think would happen if jeremy walked into the bathroom while michael was crying (like during the party)
OK SO i asked em ( aka @gayradwhitedad ) to help me with this ask and they came up with some really good headcanons ( like wtf they’re the best ) and i drew some of them so!!! the drawings are here and the headcanons are under the cut ( PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING, IT’S SO GOOD )
OK story time! SEE THIS BABY BLUE BOY? yeah his name is ethan or @crankgameplays , i had so much fun drawing him, i made this so he could maybe sign it at pax in poster form. I cant go to pax because money and its too far away , BUT i was lucky enough to have an online friend that IS. If they are still willing to go with our plan then maybe this will get to ethan in a physical form. anyways thank you ethan for making me laugh and smile everyday love ya!
Oh and yeah i finally posted something on tumblr, hehe its been a while!
well this took longer than it should ^^; meet my new Ocs!! Salus and Andrea!! i haven’t fully developed a story for them yet (actually i have but im afraid some might say its pretty dumb ;v;) and i might make more comics about them soon!!
when i first made it was like this revelation of self love and it was really wonderful. the initial response was amazing, the things later… less so.
to all the people who gained confidence and self love from that comic: it was for you; for you and for me and this was the intention.
to the people making specific comments about my body, whether negative or positive: please stop. i don’t care which way you lean, it makes me uncomfortable. so much of it is overly sexual and y’all don’t know me like that and i don’t want you to. i know, i know, i shouldn’t have put a comic of me in my underwear on the internet. hindsight and all that. i made this because i am continually overwhelmingly told by our culture that cute things are not for me, that i can’t feel good about myself, that the very act of not being totally covered would be defiant in an of itself because i’d be actively disgusting the majority of society. i didn’t make this comic for people to make sexual comments about my body.
to the people taking this and reposting this comic without credit: well, i doubt you’re reading this because you obviously don’t care who made this thing. but to the people who are reading this… if you can, rectify this. it does real, actual harm. because of things like this i’ve had to get up in arms with a buzzfeed writer (not something i enjoy), hire an awful lawyer (that’s its whole own awful story that consumed like half of 2016 on and off), and slog thru the hundreds of reposts/etc. of this. people who tell me about unsourced reposts and tell the posters to credit really save my sanity because there is too much just for me.
to the people who’ve been here for a few years and wonder why i barely ever make journal comics anymore… see the above. there was a while when it was really fun and it’s always wonderful to meet people who my comics helped with their own self image… but the aftermath can be so awful and draining every time i have an idea for a new journal comic i have to think “is it worth it?”
Word Count: 2675 Warnings: panic attack tw, swearing, angst (?), probably gonna be sad
A/N: and here’s the next part of Worth the Risk! Hope you enjoy - i’m feeling a little awkward about this part? it felt choppy.. but i’m also just sick and stressed and very tired lol so idk if i’m just being hard on myself or if this is genuinely bad hoo boy but anyways, enjoy!
“Not me, birthday boy”
Bucky looked up at his best friend in confusion. Who else would have gone through the trouble for his birthday? He wasn’t particularly close to that many people in the tower and as far as he was concerned, he didn’t deserve any of this.
Steve continued to smile as he watched his overjoyed friend try to make sense of the situation.
“Which dame do you think is capable of putting together something like this, Buck?” Bucky turned around, eyes scanning over those in the room.
There was only one other person whom he was close to, and when his eyes met hers, he knew he had to be right. He took two large steps until he was face to face with Pam.
Pam began to speak, mentioning something about Y/N, but Bucky wasn’t paying attention as he pulled her into his arms.
“What did I do to deserve a friend like you?” Bucky mumbled, looking down at his friend in adoration as they slowly began to pull away from one another. “Thank you so much.”
Pam nodded mutely, a small smile making its way on to her lips. But Bucky was so overwhelmed at that moment that he failed to notice discomfort behind it, or the panicked looks being exchanged around him. He was so overjoyed that evening that he had become blissfully unaware of the mistakes he and his friend had just made.
Mp100 Valentine’s Week
Day 8 Prompt: Confession/First Kiss
So i couldn’t pick just ONE of my otps from this show so i did all of them. This is pretty much my personal headcannon for how each confession would go down. For Terumob, Teru would probably say something first but Mob wouldnt take it like that and just take it as a compliment until time later where hes like oh! For Ritshou its like. . .Shou says it casually all the time and Ritsu of course feels the same way but just doesn’t say it till he feels like its the right time. Serirei would totally be something where either Reigen slips up and says it or Serizawa makes a big confession about it
Anyway I had tons of fun doing this even though i didnt have time to do anything serious so you guys had to just see my crappy notebook doodles. I look forward to something like this in the future ✌✌
I’m not in the ml fandom bUT @illustraice ‘s Sun/Moon au has me h o o k e d. Now, I’m no artist so I can’t draw for it (believe me I just tried drawing Mari and I spent more time outlining muscles than anything so that was a lost cause), and because I’m not in the ml fandom and I have no grasp on Mari and Adrien’s characters, I can’t write for it, either. Buuuuut, given what I’ve read for this AU, I can certainly devise a playlist for it. Because music is universal.
In some cultures shaving your head is a sign of grief/mourning. And I heard that cutting your hair can make you feel in control when everything else is falling apart. Like it's an only thing you can do something about.
I think this fits Ron’s situation perfectly! And even Ginny. Maybe they cut their hair together and it was a brother and sister bonding moment. Initially Ron asks Ginny to cut his hair (not too much though, he just needed a haircut), because their mother is not in the emotional conditions to do this for him. He also doesn’t want to bother her. So he asks Ginny, she agrees but make clear that she had never cut a hair before. “It’s ok, you’re good at hexing people, how hard cutting a hair can be?” she enjoys the compliment and promises she won’t mess up his hair on purpose because of this. But it turns out cutting a hair is more difficult than she thought it would be so she messes up completely. They start arguing “you promised you wouldn’t mess up!” “I said I wouldn’t do it on purpose!” and Mrs Weasley passes the corridor right in moment to see their young daughter and son laughing their asses off because Ron’s hair was really awful. He then decides “You know what, just shave it off completely now.” and when Ginny finishes it she says “that was easier” and Ron’s sarcastic comment “really?” makes Mrs. Weasley open a smile for the first time in months.
Edit: until she realises what they are doing and enters the room “what were you two thinking!?”