OKAY, I GOTTA FKKIN’ RANT ABOUT “One Day At A Time”
I hopped on Netflix at like midnight to watch one little Star Trek ep before bed. There was a new show ad at the top for a show about a single army veteran mom raising two kids with her mother. It sounded a little like Fuller House to my mind, but possibly better. So I clicked the first episode.
I NEVER WENT TO SLEEP.
IT IS SO SO SO MUCH BETTER THAN FULLER HOUSE HOLY SHIT.
I CAN’T ACTUALLY PROPERLY TELL ABOUT IT BECAUSE I’M SERIOUSLY TIRED AND MY BRAIN DOESN’T WORK LIKE THIS BUT
- CUBAN FAMILY
- TALKS ABOUT THE HARDSHIPS OF BEING CUBAN/POC
- MOTHER IS AN ARMY NURSE VETERAN WITH A SHOULDER INJURY
- SON IS 12, DAUGHTER IS 15
- SHE ALSO TAKES ANTIDEPRESSANTS AND GOES TO GROUP THERAPY TO DEAL WITH NIGHTMARES AND SHIT
- SHE STRUGGLES WITH THAT IN THE BEGINNING, ESPECIALLY WITH HER CUBAN HERITAGE AND MOTHER BEING AGAINST THAT
- DAUGHTER IS BASICALLY AN EVERY DAY ACTIVIST: FEMINISM, GREEN, THAT STUFF; CALLS OUT MICROAGGRESSIONS, SEXIST AND RACIST, AND EVEN TEACHES HER FAMILY ABOUT SOME STUFF
- BUT IT DOESN’T GO OVERBOARD OR MAKE HER LOOK LIKE A “CR*ZED FEMINAZI”/”DUMB MILLENIAL”
- OH AND ALSO SHE IS GAY
- IT TOOK HER A FEW EPISODES TO WORK OUT IF SHE WAS INTERESTED IN GIRLS, GUYS, OR BOTH
- BUT SHE’S FINALLY DECIDED SHE IS GAY
- AND COME OUT TO HER MOTHER
- WHO IS SUPPORTIVE
tl;dr this show is seriously good and calls out racism and sexism (and soon maybe homophobia ‘n’ shit, I’m on ep 10 and there’s two eps left this season) in just every day little ways that don’t even always have a huge effect on the story line and it’s also really funny.
i mean i’m white so i can’t speak for cubans and shit, but so far none of this show has made me squint and go ‘i dunno ‘bout this….’ (well, i’ve been a little disappointed at some allonormative moments, but the world isn’t that caught up on aro/ace identities so little to be expected about that)
EVERYONE JUST GO WATCH IT NOW