My Top Ten Television Shows of 2016
1. I really did not expect the spin off of Breaking Bad to end up being another one of my favorite shows, but this show only got better in its second season. Bob Odenkirk proves that he can lead a show greatly and the writing is top notch. Jimmy’s journey to becoming Saul is absolutely worth being told.
2. The best news show on TV is also one of the funniest. Week after week, this show keeps proving that it’s one of the most intelligent shows on TV. John Oliver is one of our best comedians working today.
3. One of the best sci-fi shows in years. I’ve watched season one twice and it’s the best original show of Netflix I’ve seen. The ensemble cast is fantastic. Bring on season two.
4. Like John Oliver, Samantha Bee is another Daily Show alumni doing Jon Stewart proud. Bee doesn’t tone anything down. Each episode hits true and hard, while also being hilarious. We’re going to need shows like this and Last Week Tonight now more than ever.
5. The best comic book show on TV currently. One of my favorite characters has been so well represented and season two just further expanded upon that. With new characters like Elektra and The Punisher, this show’s only gotten bigger and better in the best possible way.
6. The last season stumbled a bit, but season four was a welcome return to form for one of the best and most underrated shows on TV. The tension only built further this season and now that we know there is an ending coming soon, it only made that finale hit harder.
7. Marvel’s road to The Defenders only got more exciting with this excellent series that tackles race issues and more without doing so in a cheesy comic book way. Mike Colter is perfectly cast as Luke Cage; playing a hero we needed now very badly. Also, Mahershala Ali made for one of the best TV villains of the year. I only wish we’d gotten more of him. And that soundtrack is dynamite.
8. It’s a shame this wonderful show got cancelled. Peggy Carter constantly proves that she doesn’t need superpowers to be one of Marvel’s best heroes. Season two further fueled my excitement that this wonderful character got such an awesome show. Track down both seasons if you haven’t already. They are well worth your time.
9. This is easily my favorite comedy on TV. Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer make for one of the best comedic duos in years. They do uncomfortable comedy flawlessly.
10. While the finale may have fizzled out in its final minutes, season two was an overall fun, disgusting, hilarious time. I’m really happy to see my favorite horror franchise continue on the small screen and I hope season three is headed in a good direction.