Hi, I'm a new adlock yacht member, can you recommend me A Must Read Sherlock/Irene fics? because I falling deeper and deeper with this ship and i'm not even sorry! P.S.I check out all your fics on AO3 and the quite remarkable. Thank you, have a good day/night.
*Grins and waves* Hello and welcome aboard :D More than a little surprised to be asked (because surely anyone would’ve already been admiring my fandom heroes’ brilliant works before they came across any random stuff I wrote?) but thank youu and I’m honoured to share my personal ‘Omg amazing writing’ list!
(For a non-waffly version of recs, please simply refer to my bookmarks on AO3 - they’re mostly adlock x)
1. These fandom classics ♡ (Apologies if, like me, you already know them so well you find that you can effortlessly recite the chapter titles and many of the beautiful lines therein, but they absolutely need to appear in every adlock rec)
- Neither a Soldier Nor a Gentleman and (work-in-progress) Sui Generis by Francesca_Wayland (the author is a legend and @francesca-wayland is the adlock blog, where you’ll find her list of fic recs, amongst other adlockness)
^ Exquisitely written. NaSNaG [97k] is basically fanon for what happened between Sherlock and Irene in Karachi, and SG [224k+] is its incredible (AU) sequel. The latter was what converted me from a non-shipping BBC Sherlockian into an obsessed adlocker.
^ Victorian AU [75k+]. Another masterpiece, like seriously it’s literature. Clever and intricate plot, layers of mysteries, immense magnetic pull and tension between our OTP. Angsty.
Though according to a reliable source the readers might get a treat in the next chapter(s).
^ aka Angst and Heartbreak and (Despite Everything) Love [89k]. You will likely not be okay whilst reading this story, and you will quite possibly not want to be. Certain strings of words in the English language will never be the same again. Gosh. There’s a letter/email from Sherlock to Irene, and it’s just T T. Also, CACH was the reason I registered on AO3, to leave my first ever comment.
- Death Takes a Holiday by LyraNgalia and rude_not_ginger ( @lyrangalia and @team-science, they have got to be the best role-play/writing partners in the history of RP-ing and their works are a synergy of brilliance; dreamwidth)
^ Fanon for Sherlock and Irene’s adventures during The Fall, collaborating to dismantle Moriarty’s web. Emotional
constipation journey inevitably ensues. The DTaH series [546k] is approx. the length of the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy plus The Hobbit. Epic.
^ WHL [65k] also features
post-Reichenbach Sherlock and Irene. Dark, with
soul-crushing angst, and a spiralling-into-drugs-and-demons Sherlock.
Don’t worry though it gets bittersweet and everything will be okay and aww these two are adorable. TWtHG [71k] is post-Resurrection, canon-divergent since it was written before Series 3 aired but still marvellous.
2. A few more multi-chapter must-reads (Sorry I realise how ridiculously long this post is getting, after merely five recs, and shall turn down/off the commentary hereinafter, but should reiterate that these are all absolutely wonderful)
- Ships in Glass Bottles [49k] and A White Flag on Baker Street [13k] by Scatterboom (also, would recommend subscribing to her work-in-progress The Shape of the Universe and allowing it to brighten up your Tuesdays : ] )
3. My single-chapter favourites (Not an extensive list, my AO3 bookmarks contain more x)
4. Seriously I cannot begin to describe how much I admire some of these authors. Our yacht is so fortunate to have them. (I’ve mentioned some of their works above but do check out the links to their AO3 page or tumblr for more adlock-y awesomeness!)
Have a good day/night to you too, anon, and to anyone else reading this x