If you are young and lost - things I’ve learned so far in college:
1. Do not go looking for validation of your beauty or self-worth from a boy. If you do not already believe in your own worthiness, it can only be dangerous to try to find it from someone else.
2. No one is going to look at you and see all the flaws that are constantly running through your head.
3. Don’t ever regret trying. For once, don’t be the fearful one. Someone needs to be the fearless one. Let it be you.
4. Always be as confident as you are on your good days.
5. Remind yourself that you do have good days. When a good day happens, be grateful and don’t forget it.
6. Forming relationships with people will help you grow and learn. No matter what kind of relationships or how they come to be or end.
7. You are better than you used to be, and you should be proud of yourself.
8. Talking about it with a friend will make you feel better.
9. You are important. You can’t let yourself forget that. You’ve suffered for too long doubting that you were important.
10. There are things that make you love life. When the weather is nice, when someone tells you that you are good at something, when you choose to socialize, when you get a good grade, when you try a new food, when you discover a new song.
11. Compliment people. It will make them happy, and it will also make you happy.
12. Nobody is perfect. Everyone has their insecurities. Fake it till you make it. Fake that you have confidence until you actually do have confidence.
13. Don’t be disappointed if someone doesn’t like you like you were hoping. There are/will be people who do like you a tremendous amount.
14. Don’t be so focused on appearances, but do have the confidence that you are not ugly.
15. There’s no point in comparing yourself to another girl, especially if you don’t know her.
16. Don’t take your friends for granted.
17. Don’t regret staying up late with friends, even if you have school or work the next morning. These nights make college memorable.
18. The less you eat processed foods, the happier you will be. Buy natural foods and cook them yourself.
19. There are people who love you, so why is it that hard for you to love yourself?
20. Always make eye contact and watch your body language.
21. Picking at your skin when you’re stressed about something else is a stress reliever at the moment but you will ALWAYS regret it right after.
22. Don’t let other people ruin your favorite songs.
23. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying meaningless sex. But be prepared for the nights you find yourself feeling unfulfilled and wondering if you don’t deserve more.
24. Sometimes in life you have to hurt someone. But always put yourself first above any boy.
Maybe you just have to live for the small things, like being called pretty or someone picking up the pen you dropped or laughing so hard that your stomach hurts. Maybe that’s all that really matters at the end of the day.
Don’t tell me sexism isn’t real when I still get groped when I go to a party, despite not showing interest.
Don’t tell me sexism isn’t real when people still ask rape victims what they were wearing at the moment they were assaulted.
Don’t tell me sexism isn’t real when men can not express their emotions without being called “feminine,” as if that’s a bad thing.
Don’t tell me sexism isn’t real when there are more than 130 million young girls who are denied education.
Don’t tell me sexism isn’t real when women who have many sexual partners are called “sluts” and “whores,” but men who have many sexual partners are just “playboys.”
Don’t tell me sexism isn’t real when men who are mentally ill are afraid to seek out for help in fear that they won’t be taken seriously.
Don’t tell me sexism isn’t real when I tell people that I want to be a surgeon and they tell me things like, “But you’re so pretty, don’t you want to pick something easier?” or, “Are you sure that’s not too hard for you?”
Don’t tell me sexism isn’t real when ~64% of illiterate adults are women.
Don’t tell me sexism isn’t real when I’m told to “cover up,” to not distract boys, but boys aren’t taught to control themselves.
I tried everything I could to get over him. I went out with friends at night, I climbed mountains during the day, I learned how to play the guitar and I sang sad songs that described exactly the heart break I was feeling. I went for long walks alone, watched the sun set and picked beautiful flowers. I did so many beautiful things to get over him but they ended up making me wish he was there to see them with me. I tried so hard only to let it get taken away by seeing his colour of brown eyes on another boy sitting beside me in a traffic jam on a Thursday evening. And I never thought people were telling the truth when they said you will love your first love forever… now I believe it.
“But then, when all hope had died, and the hour of doom seemed at hand… a young boy clothed in green appeared as if from nowhere. Wielding the blade of evil’s bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light.”
- Paris wore a suit to their wedding, and while she was picking it out she spent the entire time talking about subverting the patriarchy.
- The second Paris saw Rory at the altar she started crying. When Rory noticed Paris crying she started crying, even though she was trying really hard not to cry. (When Luke saw that they were crying, he started crying.)
- Before they started dating, Paris didn’t know how to tell Rory she liked her, so she went to Lorelai for advice. Lorelai was not surprised, at all.
- They both quote classical literature in their vows.
- They spent 85% of their honeymoon in museums, going, “Oh my god look at this!” to each other.
- Paris kept a box with every article Rory had ever got published. (So did: Luke, Lorelai, Emily, Richard, and Sookie. And half of Stars Hollow, let’s be real.)
- They got married at the Dragonfly. During the planning, Michel and Paris were constantly snarking at each other, but they got shit done.
- Just before the wedding, someone asked Paris is she was nervous, She panicked, “What? Why would I be nervous? Oh my god, is Rory nervous? Oh my god she changed her mind. Oh mY gOD!” and then she tried to climb out a window. Luke had to drag her back inside.
- Whenever they came back to Stars Hollow, there’d be a point where Paris was working on her laptop at Luke’s, and she and Luke would communicate using single syllables. This was their bonding. Rory and Lorelai would be sitting at a table, watching them like it was a nature documentary, and occasionally narrating it like it was a nature documentary.
- Their song, the one they dance to at their wedding, is Eternal Flame by The Bangles (in honour of the first time they were kinda friends at the Bangles concert)