HEY FAN OF TIM DRAKE one of the things I encounter a lot being sometimes in the dc fandom is that a lot of Tim characterisation is shit? I've been meaning to read some comics and I'd like to read a few with "correct" characterisations before I get used to him being... flat? So do you have any recommendations/favourites that you reckon I should read? Thanks!! (OH and also stuff with Kon... I see so much cute fanart of them and I'd like to know more about their friendship!!)
aha i’m so glad you’re not falling into the fandom tim trap because yeah, a lot of the times his Characterization DOES suck! it’s super disappointing because he’s really interesting and a great character when handled well. :(
but anyways, i’m glad you wanna read some stuff about him! i’m answering this on mobile and it using references so i might get some stuff mixed up. @marbleaide is also a great person to ask! she’s been a tim fan longer than me so she knows the ins and outs haha
• stay away from New 52 Tim to start tbh he is just disappointment. his backstory is ruined and his characterization gets pressed down to a few traits.
• like i’m not trying to be biased but i think of all the batboys his reboot characterization was the shittiest overall. (don’t even get me started on the girls)
that being said!! (this isn’t in order of how to read them btw i’m just listing as it comes to mind)
• Red Robin (2009-2011) - probably the best, most concise Tim thing you can pick up to read? I don’t just recommend it because it’s my favorite and the art is amazing (thank you marcus to!!) but because it’s only 26 issues so really don’t have to spend a lot of time or resources reading it. as compared to like, his robin run or detective/batman comics and everything. but chris and fabian both do an AMAZING job with his characterization there! he’s smart, he’s witty, he’s sassy, his internal dialogue shows that he’s actually a giant fucking nerd. it’s really really good ! if you read nothing else tbh just read this.
• A Lonely Place of Dying (1989) - it’s pretty short and it’s about how Tim became Robin so it’s not the worst thing to pick up to have in your mental inventory about Tim’s characterization.
• Identity Crisis (2004-2005) - its not Tim-centric but it’s only 7 issues (?) and there’s some very important events that happen in it and characterize Tim and his relationship with his dad and Bruce so I think it’s worth the quick read.
• Teen Titans Vol 3 (2003-2011) - you don’t have to read every arc but if you’re looking for Tim and Kon shit, this is primarily where you’re gonna find it unless you go back to the old 90’s Young Justice comics. I think Titans Tomorrow and Titans of Tomorrow are good arcs (Tim’s pretty fucked up in the one) and the Life and Death (?) is more Kon-centric if you’re looking for those interactions I haven’t actually read all of these but @marbleaide did recommend them so I take her word
• Robin (1991-2009) - the dates might be off because volumes and yes it’s long af but and i haven’t even read all of it because the art style of the early stuff is just. so bad. But anyways, it’s entirely about Tim. It’s neat to see him evolve too, because he really changes from start to finish.
• Young Justice (1998-2003) The style is fucking ridiculous and I honestly have trouble reading most of the early parts of it because of that but it’s really fun and ridiculous and goofy and Tim has friends !!! Also lots of Tim and Kon interactions if that’s what you’re looking for. Plus 90’s Kon
• Adventure Comics #3 (2009) - takes place within the red robin comics and is entirely Tim and Kon and their friendship. It hurts my heart so good every time so I gotta recommend it.
• Superman/Batman #7/#26 - also some Tim and Kon stuff. Not full arcs, just a couple random issues that focus on them.
That’s……. all I can think of off the top of my head? There’s A LOT with tim drake tbh because he’s been around so long. not all of it is good- a lot of it is just kind of… eh. what I recommended is some of the better known Tim stuff that I think has pretty decent characterization. I know there’s other less Tim-involved arcs that he shows up in and a ton of other places he shows up, but yeah, this is the most “concise” list I can give you!! hope it helps !!