Rob’s Interview with Howard Stern. Highlights’ (my notes):
- Howard Stern: I like it (Good Time) …you were fucking edgy!
- HS: When you were doing Twilight, were you kind of worried that you will get stereotyped like, you will never get this kind of role? Like Good Time, I mean in Good Time you played this fucked up criminal
Rob: I never felt necessarily typecast
in Twilight, it was pretty different from who I was as a person anyway. I was
like, it was not my default…
- HS: There are so many fucking jerk offs in Hollywood. They grew up, did a franchise, made millions etc…
- Co-host : Did you walk away from it or did you lock in?
Rob: You probably would have been sued (to walk away)
…. I enjoyed the whole process. So few people get an opportunity like that, for 5 or 6 years, it was crazy.
… not at the first one, not at all (regarding the craze and mania).
… I thought it (first Twilight) was going to be a
little cool movie.
- HS: It took 37 million to produce the 1st Twilight. You were 21 years old when you auditioned.
Rob: I came in right at the last minute.
- “If you could teach
yourself to gag” - the trick to get yourself to cry when acting. He said he was unsure about his own acting skills.
- He had to take half a valium to reduce anxiety before Twilight audition
- Before Rob was born, his
mom worked as a broker for a modelling agency.
- He started modelling at 12. Signed on at 13 when that was the start of the androgynous trend, when he has “pretty girl’s breast”.
- At 15, his dad motivated him
to join a drama club after speaking to some girls at a restaurant with him.
- He got expelled from
a private “arty” school for stealing porn in school uniform, and selling them to his classmates. “ I got so cocky” and tried to take the whole rack of magazines and stuffed them in his backpack without zipping.
- He tried to make up a lie, and was given a choice to either call the cops or his parents. “Every one of his friend snitched on me”. He sold them for 20 pounds each. “I liked stealing things and lying”.
https://youtu.be/Snk6mGGKH4M to watch a short cilp about this porn enterprise. or at the end of this post.
- He stopped stealing after that. “Went to a school that was way worse than me.”
- He recalled the first thing he stole: Snapping candy bracelets.
- Also liked stealing security tags in alarm clocks, “get high on it (stealing)”.
- His big role before Twilight was Harry Porter, after which he got into a play but was fired 5 days before opening, without knowing the reason.
- Rob said he looked like a mess at the 5th Harry Potter premiere red carpet, because he was eating In and Out all the time in LA.
- He was looking sweaty and chubby, and was probably the reason why people wrote in to protest when he got the role of Edward based on those red carpet photos.
- For playing Salvador Dali, he had to wax his whole body. For masturbation scenes, he wanted to really do it only if it came as a surprise to people (not at their suggestion).
- Twilight series are teenage films, he felt that teenage romance should be serious, not smiley and happy.
- Producer highlighted the smiles, he highlighted the frowns on the script. They felt that he has gone too miserable.
https://youtu.be/NrB28374Ggo to watch how he almost got kicked out for that.
On Twilight craze and Fame:
- Goes in waves, not being able to walk down the street is “pretty nuts”
- No one is looking at you, and if they are looking, they are not seeing the same thing.
HS: Is it fun or is it a headache?
Rob: “Both. It is definitely a ride, but I wouldn’t change a thing.”
“… I wasn’t ready for that kind of evaluation (the intensity while also dating your co-star).”
HS: Do you think it is inevitable, is it
advisable to fall in love with you co-star? Good thing or a bad thing?
"On the first Twilight, it was very different. Later on, people noticed the difference, you upset many people, you suddenly have the power and you don’t know what it is.“
- Rob did therapy years later *when the movies ended*, had to know that the previous life doesn’t exist anymore.
- At 26. He was feeling secure up until the last one. “Impossible to think you will repeat yourself.”
- He had a massive freak out at the first Twilight premiere. He was embarrassed by he interview he did, promoting it like an indie. He left and ran out and left the country. “I’m done” and stayed 6 months away.
- He renegotiated after that.
About Good Time and filming in New York
- “If you made yourself grimy enough, you can escape being noticed”
- He would love to get caught doing that (sell porn) now
- He is very, very happy about good reviews on Good Time
- It is going to take him 10 years after the Twilight series, to come up with other movies. Meantime, he tried all different angles (of movies and acting).
About Superhero movies
- To do one, you have to sign up for 8 movies. He cannot do it, after 5 movies with Twilight.
- Because it is a commitment to work with a huge machine.
About acting method, and learning accent.
- Multi-impression. Everyone is from Queens. Very specific dialect. He picked it up by immersing himself with his co stars who are all from NYC.
- Connie is, ”He’s just a narcissistic psychopath” instead everyone commented that “he loves his brother so much.”
About Fifty Shades of Grey
- He hasn’t seen it.
- “I know the writer of the book. Met her a Chateau Marmont, just as “a lady from England”. I was forcing her to tell me every one of her fantasies.”*laughs*
- That role “just needs to work out
- HS : Do you go to gym? “One week on, 3 months off”.
About dick, fights and endorsements
- “Very hard to confront a guy who is trying to take a picture of your dick.”
- Rob’s last major fight was when he was 18,19.
- Rob was looking like a punk with a half-shaved head in Toronto at a bar. Met a guy who is half a foot taller, taking pic of him. *He smacked that guy*.
- Turned down a multimillion dollar deal to be the
face of Burberry. “How did you find that? That is
crazy…” he asked HS
- HS :Why accept endorsement deal with Dior?
Rob: “… I always tried to avoid from being put in a box. Burberry being kind of British, always known to not wanting to be known as British (keep it vague). Dior was less vague as British.”
About audition, music and relationships. ·
- He goes in audition as a character with an American accent
- HS : Do you play music? He could “fool people for about a minute and a half,” learned guitar from listening to Van Morrison. playing basic F, C, G, E chords, kind of have 8 little run..
- HS: Song writer? “2 years to write a song.”
HS: Well your fiancé is…
HS: “Well you’re engaged, right?”,
Rob: “Kind of…”*laughs*
HS: WHAT? You the “Secretive with relationship guy…protective”? …I never get that, I think part of the fun being with a woman is march around with her.
- HS: The woman…you are with, FAQ?….“Yeah, she is amazing yeah…FKA Twigs…she is like super talented…Totally different one”.
- HS: Do you call her like FKA?…”Call her…yeah Twigs basically. That was her nickname”
- HS: “I wonder if you’ll get married.” …*LAUGH*
- HS: “It is hard decision for a guy like you. You can
Rob: “I don’t know about that…Not really.”
“…Being an actor, it ACTUALLY kind of narrows things down… you get kind of paranoid. Most people may think they want a relationship with you. Then they realised, this is not what I want AT ALL. There is a big imbalance in the relationship.”
About trolls (online)
- “They are professional trolls. Addicted to wanting to cause hurt and pain. Most difficult thing. They are faceless enemy. Nuts, random names. Different countries somewhere. Fake to them, real in your life.”
- “Like you know there is one room in your house, where people talk nasty things about you. When you are down, you start listening to the whispers.”
- (If you attack) you are feeding it. You feel less powerful, like attacking your reflection in the water. You’ll look crazy.
About working with the Safdie Brothers and Academy award
~ See Josh’s instagram vidoe below. I couldn’t transcibe properly“ LOL
Rob : “Just do what I did…bla bla bla bla. *quick hand movements*
- “I am just so happy that people liked it (Good Time).”
- “ I just knew something was going on.”
- “That is how I always try to get jobs basically. No one is going to know your taste better than you.”
Rob said “I will forgive you (the trolls)”, if they watch Good Time over and over again.
>>>The full interview was 1 hour. Talking about his “relationship” 5 minutes. The bulk of it was Twilight, auditioning, Good Time etc.