Headcanon: Shouya Ishida
1. The realization of karma when he was a child, as he was dumped in that pool was a striking memory, especially when his hands hold a notebook that does not belong to him. This also led to him becoming empathic in high school.
2. He doesn’t really need to style his hair– but growing up in a salon has earned him tricks. So he can actually style other people’s hair better– from teaching Kawai how to braid her hair in the past, and giving cute hairstyles to Yuzuru and Shouko in the future.
3. He was pretty famous as a part-timer for the five years he worked for getting all the money needed to pay back his mother for the hearing aids. It did hurt a bit to see all that get burned away. Sometimes, he drops by his old jobs to greet the owner and get along with them. In this way, while he might have earned a reputation with his peers, the adults knew he was pushing for the better– but they do not interfere in his life (which is terribly sad, but important, because he needs to learn to rise again on his own feet than be told of this).
4. He gets along pretty well with children. He once had a part-time job in a children’s day care center, a year before his supposed-suicide- and actively sought to teach children to treat one another nicer and better so that no one gets hurt or bullied. The children does adore him– which made him guilty because he has done all those worng things (deliberately misunderstanding and thinking he isn’t a good example).
5. The sting of betrayal and broken friendship means that he will probably never be able to let his guard down around Shimada and Keisuke, by extension even Kawai, Ueno and Sahara. However, Shouya did keep an album of their friendship, and sometimes he glances through it to wonder.
6. He taught his family how to sign, so Shouko was shocked when he got her around to meet them officially. This was one of the few things that led Yuzuru to trusting him and stop actively pushing him away.
7. He has only ever asked about his father once. When he saw his mother’s eyes fill with so many unshed tears, he has never asked again and resolved ot work harder. When his mother paid for his sins to Nishimiya’s family, it was one of those things that he sincerely regretted so much - hurting her, especially when he was the one at fault.
8. Trigger warning: he once contemplated about cutting. However, his house only had scissors where he remembers learning from his mother how to cut people’s hair, to make them let go of the past and move forward, as a testament of his mother singlehandedly raising her family. While he would had reached probably for other materials, the sharp edges just reminds him of scissors in the hands of his mother. So he never attempted to cut, and decided instead on jumping off a high bridge– something people would have usually connected to him.
9. Sometime he wonders what it would have been to instead be friends with Mashiba and Nagatsuka instead in elementary. Sometimes, he’s happy they weren’t, in fear that he will have also hurt them. Sometimes, he wonders maybe they would be friends earlier.
10. Ishida isn’t aware that he is likeable. In the past, as a child, he recognizes that he should follow rules but chooses not to, preferring to do as he wanted. This led to a lot of his peers, even Shouko, liking him then. In the present, awkward and anxious he might have grown into, he still had a certain charisma around him. It’s just that the news of his past sins and rumors of him that made other people stay away from him. However, he was attention catching despite being a loner, as noted when people could have dismissed him but he was genuinely reocgnized as a nice guy later on when everyone else tried to know him better.