#Ashura day is the 10th day or Muharram (the first month of the Islamic calendar). Since the beginning of this world, Ashura day has been a very important day. On this very Day the following events have taken place:
1. Repentance of Prophet Adam (Allah’s blessing be upon him) was accepted by Allah
2. The ship of Prophet Nuh (Noah) (Allah’s blessing be upon him) came to rest on a mountain called Al-Judi.
3. Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) was born on this day.
4. He received the title Khalil-ullah (friend of Allah) on this day.
5. The fire in which Prophet Ibrahim (Allah’s blessings be upon him) was thrown by the king Namrud become cool and means of safety for Prophet Ibrahim, by the order of Allah.
6. Allah delivered Prophet Ayub (Job) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) from distress and he was restored to prosperity.
7. By the Grace of Allah, Prophet Yunas (Jonah) (Allah’s blessings be upon him), after being swallowed by a huge fish (whale) for forty days, was cast out on the shore.
8. Prophet Mussa (Moses) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) was given victory over Pharaoh.
9. Prophet Suleman (Solomon) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) was made a king to rule over mankind, Jinns, Animals and the air.
10. Prophet Idris (Enoch) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) and Prophet Issa (Jesus) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) were lifted up alive.
11. Hazret Hussain (Allah be pleased with him), the grandson of our beloved Prophet (peace be upon him) , was martyred at Karbala in Iraq. (My personal view is that every day is Ashura and every land is Karbala - not everyone will agree or understand this but it’s a personal statement ) the whole Ummah should be commemorating by renewing commitments to prevent oppression and alleviate the suffering of the innocent.
However the practice of fasting on ‘Ashura’ was known before the martyrdom of Hazret Hussain (RTA)
12. The day of resurrection and judgement will take place on this day (Ashura)
Another point to note for the month of Muharram is the authentic hadith by the prophet mentioned in Sahih Muslim (hadith # 1163) where he (s.a.w.s.) says, “The best fasting after Ramadan is the month of Muharram, and the best prayer after the obligatory prayer is prayer at night.”
Please correct/add if I have erred or missed anything.