You know those characters who are seriously badass that every single time they so much as breath, you’re on your knees thanking the heavens for their awe-inspiring badassery? They’re so badass that they deserve their own playlist. You know those songs that when you listen to them, you immediately picture this badass fight scene in your head? Or when you listen it you think of things that are also badass like black leather jackets? These songs are for those times. Enjoy jamming out to these sick, obviously badass, beats. I use the word ‘badass’ way too much in this paragraph, but then again, one cannot have too much badassery.
When I read books, I love listening to music that suits the mood of the story. Like a soundtrack for a movie. I feel like music adds so much more to a story, imagine a movie without music. The movie wouldn’t give you the same feeling as it would with good music that exactly suits the storyline.
So this is my personal playlist for all of Cassandra Clare’s Shadowhunter books. I’ll list down certain characters and ships along with songs that suit the stated character or ship. I’ll also give an explanation for them.
1. Malec - Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Ray This would be like Alec’s song for Magnus, the lyrics ‘Will you still love me when I’m no longer young and beautiful’ should explain why. -Feel Again by OneRepublic Magnus’ song to Alec. The singer in the song states that the person the song is addressed to makes him ‘feel again’. Magnus is immortal and says that immortals, after a time, petrifies emotionally. But Alec takes him out of his petrified state and makes him ‘feel again’ -Love Like This by Kodaline This is Malec’s song to each other, the song describes a love that is sweet, but temporary, as the chorus goes, ‘A love like this won’t last forever’
2. Jessa - Home by Philip Philips The guy in the song assures the person he loves that wherever they may be, or whatever situation they may be in, no matter how desperate or uncomfortable, he will ‘make this place her home’ This could be Jem to Tessa or vice versa - Ever Enough by Rocket to the Moon The singer is singing about someone who is sick and dying and he is wondering if all he does for this person is ‘ever enough’ this could be Tessa to Jem -Medicine by The 1975 Jem to Tessa. The lyrics to the song, ‘You’re my medicine’... well you get the picture.
3. Wessa -London by Vanessa Carlton This hands down, describes Tessa’s feeling towards Will. The lyrics in the song, ‘You’ve gotta knife-throwing kind of love, but your silence cuts the deepest’ should sum it up nicely. Ashes and Wine by A Fine Frenzy This song very much describes Will’s feelings at the end of Clockwork Prince when Tessa rejects him.The lyrics, ‘Is there a chance you might change your mind, or are we ashes and wine?’ makes my heart hurt because Will, oh my poor baby. - Love, Love, Love by Of Monsters and Men Here, the singer says, ‘you love, love love, when you know I can’t love’ This describes the mixed feelings Tessa has for Will. How he’s making her love him when she shouldn’t since she is engaged to Jem
4. Clace - Don’t Deserve You by Plumb This is Jace to Clary. The singer raves on about how she is someone who does not deserve the other person’s love but still she receives it. - If I Lose Myself by OneRepublic Again, Jace to Clary. ‘If I lose myself tonight, it’ll be by your side.’ those lyrics ought to hit anyone in the Clace feels. - I Would do Anything for You by Foster the People Jace and Clary to each other. ‘I would give it up for you, I’d do anything for you‘ is how they feel mutually for each other. They’d walk through hell (literally, and maybe make babies in hell too) for each other.
5. Heronstairs - Honest by The Neighbourhood This is Jem’s silent plea to Will. The lyrics, ‘I pray for the best for you, I wish you could be honest with me’ is definitely what Jem wishes he could tell Will. - The Run and Go by Twenty One Pilots ‘Don’t wanna call you in the nighttime, don’t wanna give you all my pieces, don’t wanna hand you all my troubles, don’t wanna give you all my demons. You’ll have to watch me struggle from several rooms away, but tonight I need you stay’ Those lyrics alone should hit you in the Heronstairs feels - Fix You by Coldplay Will and Jem to each other. They both want to fix each other don’t they? Jem wants to fix whatever emotional trauma is plaguing Will’s heart and soul, and Will wants to fix Jem’s health situation
6. Sizzy -Heart Out by the 1975 Izzy to Simon. ‘It’s just you and I tonight, why don’t you figure my heart out?’ is something I can see her thinking to Simon -Quesadilla by Walk the Moon Simon to Izzy. I don’t know, but the cuteness of this song just really, really screams ‘Sizzy’ to me. Especially the ‘But I’ve seen your long hair come down
It turned my head inside out. And I want you, I want you, I still do’ part -Find You There by We the Kings This is something Izzy would say to Simon after he loses his memory in COHF. the singer says that even though everything is over, and the other person has ‘moved on’ he will find the person he loves there, somewhere hidden beneath everything.
Okay so that was a few short playlists for my ships. But here’s some special playlists for characters who I think deserve it.
7. Will Herondale - Skin by Zola Jesus This song fits Will’s emotional state. The song’s lyrics and the way the artist sings them, as if in desperation to be rid of all the figurative demons, really does describe Will and his issues. - Shots by Imagine Dragons To be honest, a lot of Imagine Dragons songs could be about Will Herondale, or even Jace Herondale for that matter. Since that band sings about angst and emotional issues, but this particular song also describes Will rather nicely. the lyrics, ‘I’ve shot, shot, shot a hole through every single thing that I love’ screams ‘HERONDALE’ to me. - Heavydirtysoul by Twenty One Pilots This is Will crying out for help to anyone who can fix his curse, The artist sings in desperation, ‘Can you save my, Can you save my, Can you save my heavy, dirty, soul from me?’
8. Sebastian Morgenstern - Breezeblocks by Alt-J This is a song about creepy, obsessive, love. The lyrics ‘She may contain the urge to run away, But hold her down with soggy clothes and breezeblocks’ is very creepy, obsessive, and very Sebastian-worthy. This could be a song from him to Clary. - Run by AWOLNATION Another Sebastian-worthy song, especially with the creepy tune and the lyrics, ‘I am a human being, capable of doing terrible things’ - Blood Red by The Maine The lyrics, ‘It came without warning, now I’m wounded, you’re so ruthless darling’ and ‘What’s it like living with your disease, you walk the streets at night, looking like a well-dressed thief’ should sum up why I think this song is Sebastian-worthy.
9. Jace Herondale -Any Other Way by We the Kings This song describes a warrior who refuses to go down without a fight. The artist sings, ‘Fire through my veins I will fan the flames, until my dying breath‘ That is a very Jace thing to say, and Jace has fire in his veins too, quite literally, actually. - Art of War by We the Kings The lyrics, ‘Live and die fighting for the art of war, I’m a soldier, I will never fall’ is also a very Jace thing to say - Broken Arrow by The Script The lyrics in this song, it’s hard to get to heaven when you’re born hell bound‘ describes the way Jace feels about himself in City of Glass, after his and Clary’s encounter with Ithuriel.
————————– So that is a playlist for all of Cassandra Clare’s ‘Shadowhunter’ books. I actually have so much more songs that perfectly fit both TMI and TID, I actually have a playlist on my computer entitled ‘Shadowhunters’ Sadly, I can’t put every song, since the list would be too long, but I chose three songs for every ship and character mentioned here. If you want more songs from my playlist, feel free to send me a question or something. :)
1. The Only Exception - Paramore || 2. You Picked Me - A Fine Frenzy || 3. Autumn & Me - Saving Jane || 4. You Are the Moon - The Hush Sound || 5. Sweater Weather - The Neighbourhood || 6. The Light - Sara Bareilles || 7. War Paint - Kelly Clarkson || 8. Only If For A Night - Florence + the Machine || 9. Dust to Dust - The Civil Wars || 10. I Know Places - Taylor Swift || 11. Like Real People Do - Hozier || 12. Your Song - Ellie Goulding || 13. Calm Me Down - Mother Mother || 14. Storm Song - Phildel || 15. Miss Atomic Bomb - The Killers || 16. Just One Yesterday - Fall Out Boy || 17. Songbird - Fleetwood Mac || 18. Restless - Alison Krauss || 19. Addicted to Love - Florence + the Machine || 20. Let Her Go - Jasmine Thompson || 21. Frostfall - Jeremy Soule
Warriors - Imagine Dragons/ The Phoenix - Fall Out Boy/ Beat It - Michael Jackson/ Roar - Treat/ Shut Up! - Simple Plan/ Hammerhead - The Offspring/ I’m a Super Girl - Shonen Knife/ Million Voices - Barlow Girl/ Pushover - Manafest/ (What Doesn’t Kill You) Stronger - Kelly Clarkson/ Confident - Demi Lovato/ Young Volcanoes - Fall Out Boy/ Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears