List of Reasons why McHanzo is a popular ship
In case somebody asks you why people ship McHanzo, you can just link them to this post.
1) Their personalities [ie, the rough and tumble, clever charming cowboy and the severe, noble, disciplined, dutiful archer] are extremely shippable (see: Han Solo and Princess Leia for similar personality types). Referred to as the “odd couple” phenomenon by Matthew Mercer, voice actor of Mccree.
1a) Matthew Mercer explaining the McHanzo ship and putting in McHanzo lines during his panels and his on the spot voice acting for Mccree
1b) Ships in which one character is “tsundere” are popular as well; where one is presumably more open than the other, who is more closed off about their feelings, though in the realm of fanwork this is often an inverted trope
2) The east-west symmetry; in which Hanzo represents the [stereo]typical anachronistic eastern warrior where Mccree represents the [stereo]typical western gunslinger (see: the popularity of interracial romances)
2a) Kurosawa Samurai films were inspired by early Hollywood Westerns; later Westerns were inspired by Kurosawa Samurai films. The “love affair” of Samurai and Cowboy films has gone on for decades
3) Visually appealing; both handsome, buff, middle-aged men–a fandom staple. Also both perfectly contrasting each other in color scheme; Mccree = Red (serape, ult), Hanzo = Blue (clothing accents, ult)
4) Interactions in-game: Junkenstein’s revenge in which Hanzo and Mccree share stories and drinks; followup lines referencing the drinks they shared, Mccree complimenting Hanzo on his shots, a recent addition of Mccree following up his drinks with presumably with Hanzo ( “the next one’s on me” )
5) Their similarities in age, personality and backstory; both with criminal pasts they’re trying to make up for. Both are about the same age and have the same background in stealth, assassination, unsavory dealings. Both are skilled fighters and sharpshooters who have dealt with the dark side of the world, who are seemingly unfit to be heroes but also most compelling in their (in Hanzo’s case, presumed) heroism.
5a) Because of their difficult pasts, the idea of them being happy is appealing. More so the idea of them being happy together, because of the appeal of romance to many fans. Which is why domestic headcanons of them are also very popular.
5b) Young Mchanzo
…. I forgot my point
6) The sheer content generated and the popularity of the ship makes it more appealing to ship: the amount of good art, good fanfiction, and positive energy from both creators and many fans makes the ship appealing to those who are new to it.
7) LGBT ships are more common than het ones by virtue of wish fulfillment; because there is an extreme lack of LGBT content, let alone LGBT romance in media, LGBT ships are more popular within fandom. Also, because of the number of women in fandom who are by the numbers, largely straight, male/male pairings are often more popular than female/female pairings, unless the number of female characters is balanced or there are more female characters in a fandom (see: Once Upon a Time), or female personalities are made more compelling in the show (see: Legend of Korra).
Those are the ones I can think of right now, but there are likely a ton more reasons people ship McHanzo, and I hope people continue to enjoy the Overwatch fandom because all this creativity is amazing. Please do click through the links of the posted photos to reblog the original posts and support the artists!