IMO a game that does the “Norse folks were more than just warriors” thing well is King of Dragon Pass (which I love and you should buy). It’s not explicitly a viking game but you play as the chieftain of a clan that is culturally Celto-Norse but in a fantasy world. IIRC the world is described as “bronze age”, IDK how accurate that is.
Warfare is definitely a part of the game but if you go around attacking everyone all the time you won’t win. Here are some other important things you need to do:
- Keep your farmers happy
- Make sure you have a good ratio of crops to pasture.
- Explore your territory and beyond
- Trade with other clans
- Make nice with other clans through diplomacy
- Sacrifice stuff to the deities in exchange for blessings
- Heroquesting (basically performing a ritual where you act out a myth and if you make it all the way through you get a major benefit)
And that’s in addition to dealing with all the random events that pop up that could be anything from “priestesses of the healing goddess are here to visit” to “an old lady has been accused of witchcraft” to “this ghost is really annoying do you want to sue him?” sometimes the best solution is raiding, other times you need to be a bit more diplomatic.
Also there are dinosaurs have I mentioned there are dinosaurs?