- Thor finds Avengers in Wakanda and asks where the Man of Iron is only to find out Tony is cleaning up the mess the Avengers left with no help at all.
- Tony rebuilding and trying to get his life back under control after being betrayed by virtually every member of Team Cap.
- Team Cap needs Tony’s help and they have to ask for his help.
- Fury telling them to fuck off because Stark is still cleaning up their last mess don’t bring another one.
- Tony telling Steve that if he wants his help he’d better get an apology, and be treated with respect, and not be alone with any member of Team Cap.
- Sam finds out that Tony gave Steve multiple chances to get help and not create the mess that was left.
- Sam finding Rhodes and making sure he’s okay and they bond over military experiences.
- Rhodes telling Sam about how Tony knew where they were and kept Ross away from them, yelling at him about how Tony had to clean up their mess even after watching his parent’s murder walk free.
- Sam being confused and asking what that means so Rhodes tells him about the tape and how Tony watched the Winter Soldier beat his father and strangle his mother. About how Cap KNEW but didn’t tell Tony, even lied to his face. About the 24 hours and how Steve said no because Tony ‘locker Wanda in her room’. About two Super Soldiers ganging up on Tony who shouldn’t have reacted violently but Sam you’re a councilor how would you have reacted to watching your parents murder with the murderer right next to you?
- Sam confront Steve about the tape, the lying, the not telling Sam about the deal that could’ve helped, about how Tony was LEFT IN THE COLD ALONE WITH A DISABLED SUIT STEVE WHAT IN THE HELL YOU DO NOT LEAVE A MAN BEHIND.
- Sam understanding that maybe Tony Stark isn’t what everyone describes.
- Sam apologizing to Tony and telling him he didn’t know any of what he’d learned.
- Tony not feeling guilty because he did the right fucking thing.
- WANDA FINALLY BEING HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ULTRON BECAUSE SHE VIOLATED EVERY MEMBER OF THE TEAM AND HAS NOT DONE SHIT TO REDEEM HERSELF.
- Captain America finally getting his ass chewed for what he did to Tony and how he’s treated him over the years, accusing him of holding back secrets and being a liability when Steve didn’t tell the team the whole story!!!
- SOMEBODY EXPLAINING WHY CLINT CAME OUT OF FUCKING RETIREMENT AND NOT SEEING THE POINT OF THE ACCORDS AS A DAMN ASSASSIN.
- Somebody seeing Tony trying to rewrite the Accords because they were going to happen with or without him but at least he was trying to get to a point to where he could alter them!
- TONY STARK NOT BEING ATTACKED ON ALL SIDES FOR DOING WHAT HE THOUGHT WAS RIGHT WHILE NO OTHER PERSON INVOLVED IS HELD ACCOUNTABLE.
yes, in am well aware that Tony Stark is fictional, as do I understand why it may be difficult to understand a character you may not be able to relate to. However, I don’t think many of you realize the message you’re sending to fellow Marvel fans, and people and general with mental illnesses. By not supporting and validating his manifestations of mental illness, you harm an already taboo and shunned community of people who’s symptoms, like Tony’s, can be destructive and scary. I 100% empathize with Team Cap. Bucky has been through unimaginable pain and deserves to be protected and supported, as do most of the others. Bucky is seen as a martyr. His pain, his suffering, his mental illness is “pure” and “beautiful”. He is on a pedestal. His issues are handled in an idealized fashion. As someone who is has symptoms in both categories, I’m not saying Bucky isn’t valid, he very much is, HOWEVER, don’t you dare tell me that Tony Stark is not valid in his pain as well. All of the demonized traits and actions of the man you hate so much stem directly from his own issues. From the beginning of his life, he was a victim of verbal, emotional, and (if the comics are being followed in MCU) physical. That alone fucks shit up in a person. Over the course of his life, he’s been taken advantage of by “friends” and romantic partners, betrayed by his only father figure (Obadiah) and best friend (Rhodey in IM2), degraded and demonized by the media and press, kidnapped by terrorists, tortured repeatedly (as a civilian, nonetheless), suffered (misplaced) guilt and over illegal weapons dealing he had no part in and dedicates his life to making right, had a near death experience with the arc reactor, experienced severe PTSD after flying a nuke into a wormhole to save the world, had his mind manipulated by Wanda to take advantage of his love for his teammates and need to protect the world, been physically and mentally abused by said teammates/friends (Natasha in IM2, after he trusts her, Thor in AoU, Team Cap in CW), found out his parents were murdered after having it kept from him by a trusted friend, left by the woman he loves, and other more minor things as well (feel free to add to that list yourself).
Tony Stark’s mental illness is different than the rest of the MCU characters because it is not beautiful. He is depressed, paranoid, traumatized, and isolated. I’m not saying he is guiltless, far from it. He made bad choices. He has been selfish, ignorant, volatile, confrontational, defensive, and irresponsible. But that doesn’t discount his suffering. Drawing on my own experiences and research, he has classic PTSD and anxiety (panic attacks, flashbacks, nightmares, paranoia), severe symptoms of depression (isolation, self deprecation, alcohol abuse, suicidal tendencies, guilt, hopelessness), and a possible bipolar or personality disorder (manic energy/hyperactivity, impulsiveness, restlessness, anger). His creation of Ultron (and other post-Afghanistan behavior) was, in my opinion, the culmination of severe, UNTREATED mental illness and trauma. There is no evidence in any canon of him receiving counseling, medication or support for his issues, nor are they treated with the consideration, care, or sympathy of the others. Instead, he becomes the villain.
The point I’m trying to make is that alienating and abusing those with destructive manifestations of mental illness is not only wrong, it’s harmful to the individual, as well as society. Mental illness is not pretty or easily sympathized with. It can be screaming and anger and pushing loved ones away. It can be recklessness and mania and skewed judgement and ugly breakdowns. Tony and Bucky are different, but in many ways the same. The only reason that one is adored and the other hated, is the stigma surrounding an honest portrayal of mental illness. When you call Tony Stark a villain, a selfish bastard and an irresponsible, egotist, all you’re doing is telling the world that you only support those with depression, PTSD, anxiety and other disorders if they fit into a glorified mold of what mental illness is. What validates one character demonizes another. When you say those things, you hurt people like me who love Tony because we see ourselves in him. He’s not unattainable or better than us. He is relatable. He is me. It feels amazing to see someone we admire so much in a flawed way that makes us feel valid and represented in a positive way, not as the villain, but as the hero for once. Whether you agree with me or not is up to you, but please, PLEASE, at least think about what you’re saying next time you post. It could be more hurtful than you know. Remember, pain is relative, and there is no one size fits all for mental illness. Support people in pain, even if it’s not easy.
Tony “who says yay when he finds a secret door” Stark
Tony “elevators not worthy” Stark
Tony “hopeful that all the avengers will stay for the party” Stark
Tony “getting really attached to the team” Stark
Tony “do I get to rule Asgard?” Stark
Tony “pretend flirting but totally meaning it with Rhodey” Stark
Tony “I’m not the boss, I just pay for everything, make everyone look cooler, etc which he totally does because he cares” Stark
Tony “bragging about how boss Pepper is” Stark
Tony “is making medical advances” Stark
Tony “calling himself old man” Stark
Tony “don’t take from my pile” Stark
Tony “willingly going to fix Clint’s tractor” Stark
Tony “caring for friends so much he’d build something to keep them safe” Stark
Tony “making jokes in horrible times to ease the tension” Stark
Tony “giving up JARVIS because he thinks that’ll save the world” Stark
Tony “has anxiety, PTSD, and he’s still in the game” Stark
Tony “telling Bruce to take a stand not to be rude but because Bruce doesn’t have to bow down to anybody” Stark
Tony “I’m not the same man as before” Stark
Tony “going from war profit to saving the world because he thinks it’s what he was destined to do, even though he’s just a civilian, no super powers, just because he damn wants to, he’s gotten so far and become such a better person but no one really sees that over his mistakes” Stark
Tony “isn’t the same man as before, because he’s so much better” Stark
you don’t need people that doesn’t understand tony stark’s traumas and fears. you don’t need people that think tony stark is the villain. YOU DON’T NEED PEOPLE THAT THINK TONY STARK IS NOT AN ANGEL THAT FOUGHT HIS WAY THROUGH HELL.
hi everyone. our family kitten died today. she was killed in the dryer. she was a therapy cat, to help with our PTSD and anxiety due to past domestic abuse. she was my little sister’s cat, who has extreme anxiety. they loved each other very very much. this cat was practically angelic. this…is really bad. please pray for my family, especially my mother and little sister. a therapy cat dying is cruelly ironic. we would really appreciate your prayers. thank you.