Things People Don't Understand About Being an Irish Dancer During St. Patrick's Day
1. I am exhausted so any down time I have is most likely spent napping or listening to music or just being with myself (especially because I’ve been with people all day).
2. I don’t have time. For any of it. Your texts or Snapchats are the furthest thing from my mind so please don’t get frustrated with me because I simply do not have the time.
3. I’m tired of the jokes. You may think you’re the most hilarious person who’s walked this Earth, but in reality you’re insulting something that I deeply care about and is actually a big part of my life. Forms of joking may include (but are not limited to):
A. Pretending to Irish dance
B. Comparing Irish dance to Toddlers and Tiaras
4. St. Patrick’s Day is the one day a year when Irish dance is recognized as the coolest thing ever and I need to savor the day, so if you don’t hear from me, I am not sorry. My day is my day and I’m not taking time for anything petty.
5. It!! Is!! A!! Wig!!
6. I am not a conceited diva princess (@ all the clerks of restaurants I visit after performances). I wear this makeup and hair and crown because it is apart of what I love to do!!!
7. I will not “Leprechaun Kick” for you.
8. School is pretty much irrelevant.
9. If I personally ask you to attend a performance, I would appreciate if you didn’t blow it off like it’s nothing. It is important to me and if I ask you that means you are important to me.
10. You can look and admire but if you touch me I will cut your hand off. My wig takes forever to look decent, so please keep your grimy hands to yourself. Also, personal space??
Anyway, these are a few things I came up with that I feel like non-Irish dance people just don’t understand.
i don’t know why girls my age who write their own shows always make themselves “single gals in the city”
if i had my own show, i’d just cast domhnall gleeson as my stressed out, put upon stay-at-home husband who raises our beautiful toddler, wears cashmere sweaters and corduroys, and bails me out of everything