In light of the Betsy DeVos confirmation,
Some tips for how to help:
- Call schools and ask if you can pay off lunch balances.
- Find reputable after-school programs that need volunteers or financial donations.
- Donate school supplies! Even cheap notebooks and pencils can make a difference.
- Love the kiddos in your lives. Tell them they matter. Listen to their stories; refuse to write them off as kids who just don’t know anything about the world and are just being dramatic/millennials who are always glued to their phones and so on.
- When in doubt, call your local schools and ask what you can do. Every school has different needs, but they all need our help.
My heart breaks for my educator friends.
My heart breaks for parents of K-12 children.
My heart breaks for underprivileged, disabled, and otherwise marginalized children who will not be able to access an equitable education over the next few years (even more so than they already weren’t), who will be told in word and deed that their mere presence in the system is a burden.
My heart breaks.