27 Science fictions that became science facts in 2012.
- Quadriplegic uses her mind to control her robotic arm.
- DARPA robot can traverse an obstacle course.
- Genetically modified silk is stronger than steel.
- DNA was photographed for the first time.
- Invisibility cloak technology took a huge leap forward.
- Spray-on skin.
- James Cameron reached the deepest known point in the ocean.
- Stem cells could extend human life by over 100 years.
- 3-D printer creates full-size house in one session.
- Self-driving cars are legal in Nevada, Florida, and California.
- Voyager I leaves the solar system.
- Custom Jaw transplant created with 3-D printer.
- Rogue planet[s] floating through space.
- Chimera monkey’s created from multiple embryos.
- Artificial leaves generate electricity.
- Google goggles bring the internet everywhere.
- Higgs-Boson Particle discovery.
- Flexible, inexpensive solar panels challenge fossil fuel.
- Diamond planet discovered.
- Eye implants give sight to the blind.
- Wales barcodes DNA of every flowering plant species in the country.
- First unmanned commercial space flight docks with the ISS.
- Ultra-flexible “willow” glass will allow for curved electronic devices.
- NASA begins using robotic exoskeletons.
- Human brain is hacked.
- First planet with four suns discovered.
- Microsoft patented the “Holodeck”.
Learn more about each of these scientific break-throughs and discoveries here.