Sunnydale, CA, just a couple of hours north of Los Angeles by car, must be the most interesting place to live! With a population of only 38,500 (as per the “Welcome to Sunnydale” sign in 2x03 “School Hard”), this piece of suburbia has:
A hellmouth (1x01 “Welcome to the Hellmouth”)
A lake (1x12 “Prophecy Girl”)
A beach (2x20 “Go Fish”)
A cliff called Kingman’s Bluff (3x10 “Amends”)
Government and Cultural Institutions
Sunnydale Zoo (1x06 “The Pack”)
Natural History Museum (2x04 “Inca Mummy Girl”, 2x21 “Becoming, Part One”)
Two hospitals: Mercy Hospital (1x12 “Prophecy Girl”), and Sunnydale Memorial a.k.a. Sunnydale General Hospital (1x07 “Angel”, 2x18 “Killed by Death”)
A military base, one with a rocket launcher (2x14 “Innocence”)
A secret military agency, built underground, called the Initiative (4x04 “Fear Itself”)
Several high schools (and presumably a number of elementary and middle schools as well): Sunnydale High, Fondren High (2x02 “Some Assembly Required”), Kent Preparatory School (2x05 “Reptile Boy”), Miss Porter’s (3x02 “Dead Man’s Party”)
Two colleges: Crestwood College (2x05 “Reptile Boy”), and UC Sunnydale (4x01 “The Freshman”)
Concentration of Consecrated Grounds
43 churches (2x10 “What’s My Line, Part Two”)
12 cemeteries (3x17 “Revelations”)
Sunnydale Bus Depot (2x04 “Inca Mummy Girl”)
A port that can accommodate large cargo ships, possibly those bound for Asia (2x13 “Surprise”)
Sunnydale International Airport (3x19 “Choices”, 6x01 “Bargaining, Part One”). An “international” airport is one equipped to handle immigration and customs.
Sunnydale Train Station (5x14 “Crush”), also a terminus (a station at the end of a railway line)
Historical/Mystical Landmarks and Artifacts
The du Lac Cross (2x09 “What’s My Line, Part One”)
Glove of Myhneghon (3x07 “Relevations”)
Gem of Amarra (4x03 “Harsh Light of Day”)
The Scythe, forged centuries ago for the Slayer (7x21 “End of Days”)
Old Sunnydale Mission, a Catholic mission buried by an earthquake in 1812 (4x18 “Pangs”)
An Egyptian (wth, Joss?) tomb, sheltering the last of the Guardians (7x21 “End of Days”)
Other Unique Features
A high mortality rate (2x20 “Go Fish”)
A sewer tunnel network popular among vampires and demons (1x02 “The Harvest”)
A multitude of abandoned factories and houses (2x01 “When She Was Bad”)
Large woods (3x05 “Homecoming”, 6x02 “Bargaining, Part Two”)
A desert containing a sacred spot (5x18 “Intervention”, 7x13 “The Killer in Me”)
Cue five minutes of me flipping back through your blog for things you've watched. Buffy!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh god I have WAY more than five things I’d like to change about Buffy, but I’ll try to hit the big ones here:
1. It Would Be Less Racist (specifically: it would not be 98% white, as it takes place IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, OH MY GOD WHERE ARE THE LATINO CHARACTERS IN THIS SHOW. WHERE ARE THE ASIAN CHARACTERS. WHY ARE THERE ONLY LIKE TWO BLACK CHARACTERS PER SEASON. Delete Inca Mummy Girl and the thanksgiving episode with extreme prejudice, much as I love Spike going “you made a bear!”, and Willow’s white guilt.)
2. “Seeing Red” is gone. Spike’s season six character arc makes sense, and James Marsters and the writers don’t visibly fight in the lines vs delivery about who Spike is, what he thinks and feels, and where he’s going as a character. Rape isn’t used as a prop. Spike doesn’t get a soul. He’s more interesting without one, and Spike/Buffy is more interesting without the half-assed sanitizing they did of Spike’s character in s7, caught uselessly between wanting to stay on the right side of the sexual DMZ they set up for themselves with demons and “bad” sex on one side and souled up people and “good” sex on the other side and the knowledge that Spike can’t go the way of Angelus–he has to stay Spike to be interesting.
3. Faith kisses Buffy on the mouth instead of the forehead. In S7, the will-they-won’t-they Spike/Buffy dynamic is broken not by Angel/Buffy but Faith/Buffy. Faith comes bearing the amulet for a hero–Angel, understandably busy with his own apocalypse, doesn’t show. Faith kissing Buffy in the basement. Faith gets the cookies speech.
4. The magic-is-drugs thing is gone. Dark Willow isn’t poisoned, isn’t under the influence. Dark Willow is just Willow, doing what she thinks is best. Because that’s who Willow has always been. That’s the scary/awesome part.
5. Dawn’s Keyness doesn’t go away after season five! Dawn’s Keyness continues to be important, a part of herself she learns to access and use, even if she doesn’t unlock the particular door Glory wanted her to unlock anymore! (I want Dawn to unlock doors between dimensions. I want Dawn to be the masterkey for the multiverse.)
6. (Yes, I know I was only supposed to go to five, and I know that this is Angel and not Buffy, but this is important:) SPIKE TELLS BUFFY HE IS ALIVE
7. GUNN/FRED FOREVER!!!!! DOWN WITH THE TYRANNY OF WES/FRED!!!!!!
8. CORDY DOESN’T DIE!!!!!!!!!! CORDY ISN’T FRIDGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CORDY DOES NOT SUFFER A STUPID MYSTICAL EVIL CHARACTER-SABOTAGING PREGNANCY PLOTLINE FOLLOWED BY A STUPID MYSTICAL COMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOSS WHEDON IS NOT A DICK TO CHARISMA CARPENTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9. LESS RAPE JOKES OVERALL
10. LESS ABLEISM OVERALL
….okay I was hoping to keep this at ten, but ONE MORE
11. OLIVIA STICKS AROUND AND BECOMES A MAJOR CHARACTER AND GILES GETS TO HAVE A GIRLFRIEND AND A PARTNER AS WELL AS TEN PROBLEMATIC CHILDREN
okay i lied ONE MORE FOR REAL
12. FUCKING XANDER DOESN’T MAKE THAT HORRIBLE SPEECH ABOUT BUFFY BEING A BAD GIRLFRIEND TO RILEY, OR IF HE DOES, BUFFY DOESN’T BELIEVE THAT BULLSHIT AND INSTEAD SHE AND THE NARRATIVE CALL HIM OUT ON HIS MISOGYNY AND SHE DEFINITELY DOESN’T GO RUNNING AFTER STUPID RILEY’S STUPID PLANE.