Reasons Why I Actually Loved Beauty and the Beast:
- The back stories added a nice depth to the main characters, without taking too much screen time or taking away from the original story.
- The plot holes from the original movie were filled in very nicely.
- THE SUPPORTING CAST.
- Seriously, whoever did the casting did an amazing job, I am very impressed.
- I loved the greater emphasis on the servants. I fell in love with them. I mean I always loved them, but I loved them much more in this movie.
- I liked the small homage to the broadway musical. (If anyone noticed, when Belle enters her room for the first time they play an instrumental of the song “Home” from the broadway musical).
- Be My Guest had such beautiful CGI animation. That was easily my favorite scene in the film.
- I loved that they made the Beast educated and well-read. And the scoff at Romeo and Juliet was perfect.
- The romance between Belle and Beast felt much more natural and it was all very sweet:
“They don’t like me either. The villagers all think I’m strange.”
“Do you think that in time you could grow in affection?” “I don’t see why not.”
- DAN STEVENS. I never thought I would actually feel sympathetic towards the Beast, nor did I thought I would actually like him. But man did Dan Stevens do him well.
- DAN STEVENS’ SINGING. (I can’t decide if I like his version more than Josh Groban’s. That’s how good it is).
- “I AM NOT A BEAST.”
- More diversity! I was glad to see more POCs, interracial relationships, and portrayal of a same-sex relationship. It’s not perfect, but it’s a good start.
- The Enchantress actually existed as a character throughout the movie and didn’t just disappear like in the original movie. It made the curse seem more like a lesson than a cruel punishment. It made it seem like she was always planning on sending a girl the Beast’s way, she just had to find the right one. And when she saw how kind and intelligent Belle was to her, she knew that she was the right girl for the Beast.
- The inanimation scene before the transformations (I got really emotional and cried y'all)
- THE GROWL. ❤️