THE BEST EVER ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPE THAT I BLATANTLY STOLE FROM @brittanylesser. But, y'all. It is so good that since I discovered it I’ve made it FOUR times. It’s the perfect food to prep and lasts forever in the fridge and only tastes better as it sits. It’s really easy, but if you’re anything like me you like step by step directions with photos. So here it is!
1. Peel yo buttanut
2. Cut it in half. Don’t worry if it’s even on both sides, it totally doesn’t matter.
3. Scoop out the seeds and stringy squash stuff with a spoon.
4. Cube that squash, girl. They don’t need to be even cubes but the closer they are to each other in size, the more even they will cook!
5. Preheat the oven to 400F!
6. Put the cut squash in a large freezer bag.
7. Spray both the squash in bag and your roasting pan (cookie sheet, whatev) with cooking spray. I use smart balance but you can use coconut oil spray or whatever you like to cook with.
8. Season! For one medium squash I use about ½ TBSP Paprika, ¼ TBSP garlic powder, ½ TBSP cinnamon (I use Ceylon but regular cinnamon works just as well!!), a literal shitload of cracked black pepper because I love it, and a pinch or sprinkle of Himalayan pink salt (you can totally use regular ground pepper and iodized salt if that’s what you like, ain’t nobody can tell you how you should eat ur squash!)
9. Seal the bag tight and shake it around or massage it in. Whatever you prefer! I like to massage the squash because I think it distributes the seasonings more evenly but this is literally entirely up to you.
10. Pour that whole damn bag of squash onto your pan that you sprayed with cooking spray and pop it in the oven. I set the timer for 20 minutes and shake it around a bit, cook for 20 more minutes and then agitate them a bit with a spatula and finish off for another 5 minutes. 45 minutes total.
11. You eat those little cubes of deliciousness and relish in the fact that it tastes SO DAMN GOOD and the macros are bangin. There’s so much vitamin A in these lil babes, too! For 133g, you’re looking at 59Cals/8g C/3g F/1g P/2g S