HVFF Portland - a recap
Last weekend, I attended HVFF in Portland for the first time (HVFF and Portland) and had a blast. I know a lot of people on Twitter have seen pictures and videos but I wanted to share a little of my account.
Half of the fun is sharing the experience with other friends and fans. I met up with friends, people I follow on Twitter, and met new people creating new friendships. Overall, eight of us arrived a day early and hung out after getting our tickets. This really helped getting to know each other in person before the con started. (I had only met Academy of shipping in person before) Then we could break up into different groups at the con and rejoice over mini-Felicity and Alejandra’s amazing ability to connect with the actors as we came back together.
Stephen Amell’s panel was first on Saturday. We were much closer than I expected which was so much fun. He was engaging and funny and most of the questions felt new.
- He is looking forward to scenes with Jack (William) and they have cool scenes in 6x01
- most embarrassing moment is dropping Katie Cassidy in their make out scene in S1. A kid asked the question, so his avoidance and explanations for why he was carrying her (she was tired) was hilarious.
- Stephen is tired of the beard (for Code 8). Also, he is much better than night shoots then his cousin, Robbie.
- Jesi’s daughter dressed as Felicity (mini-Felicity) was going to ask a question but then Jesi had to ask instead (when will Oliver marry Felicity - answer: maybe in Season 6. Maybe not) However, she charmed Stephen (giving her name as Felicity) which led to two days of glorious moments and pictures with Stephen and the entire cast for that family.
- asked if he would break his promise of no dancing for a slow dance at Olicity wedding, he responded yes since he didn’t count slow dancing as dancing (and he would be better than Grant)
- invited to the Navy Ball and accepted if his schedule allows
- another Navy officer (after joking that he also was going to ask him to the Navy Ball) gave him a challenge coin from his crew since Arrow is one of the shows they watch away from home. Stephen got off the stage and gave him a hug.
- favorite villain: most iconic, Deathstroke. Favorite, Prometheus.
At this point, we started to break up and visit different actors booths for autographs or selfies. I had written out all the music themes for each person there to sign which meant I did not do any photo-ops. Cons are expensive!
I started with Katrina Law mostly so I could follow Janis and her daughter and see Ava meet Nyssa. If any of you follow Janis, you will know that Nyssa is Ava’s favorite character and it was fun to see Katrina pick her up and swing her back and forth. I showed her my music sheet and Katrina was very excited to learn that Nyssa had her own theme and thought that was really cool.
My next stop was David Ramsey’s table. David Ramsey is a wonderful human being and made sure to take time with each fan. He was the last one to stay both evenings because there were so many people and because it took so much longer (but everyone would agree it was worth it!) He asked me my name, at which point he mentioned it was one of his favorite names and then proceeded to name four other favorite names, one being my sister’s name which we both found very cool. Then I showed him the music and his eyes grew big as he asked where I got the music. I told him I transcribed it which greatly impressed him. Then he asked me to sing or hum Diggle’s theme for him! I did my best but told him that it sounded much cooler with electric bass and then babbled about how it was in the last episode with Deathstroke, Diggle and Wild Dog’s themes as they fought (I told Rick the same thing the next day) which was really cool. David them told me that I was amazing for listening to all those details and signed my paper. He asked if I was a musician and told him that I was a cellist. Since I was dressed as Felicity the first day, he guessed that at the end and gave me a high five. I returned to Sarah and Bre red-faced, a huge grin on my face, and slightly shaking!
The three of us went over to Juliana’s table next. There were a lot less people at her table which meant we could spend more time. First of all, she is gorgeous and has the most lovely smile. I certainly hope we can see more of it on Arrow. We all shared how much we loved her as the Black Canary and thought she did a fantastic job. This meant the world to her and she told us she hoped to do us proud in Season 6. When I showed her the music, I shared how her theme stemmed from the previous Canary themes but is her own. She found that really cool and was a little blown away, I think. I’m not sure she even knew there were soundtracks for Arrow. She asked if she could take a picture of it so she could play it home. She signed Dinah Drake first starting in a D on the staff paper which was a cool little moment.
My last signature was with Stephen Amell. I had this whole spiel I was going to say on thanking him for his work this year but I was a little overwhelmed being so close to him (he is quite handsome) that most of it left my brain. He was very nice and asked where I wanted him to sign. I pointed out his three themes and then he signed next to each one. It took a little while for me to recover.
Since I didn’t get a photo-op, a group of us hung out nearby waiting for those who were getting photos (a bit of a revolving door between 8 of us!) Rick Gonzales was walking by which Bre and I pointed out to Alejandra, who called out “Rick!” She had already had met him so he turned around, smiled, and then came back and gave her a hug, remembering their conversation beforehand. Before he left, he gave myself and Bre hugs even though we had never met him! We also got to witness her joy/freaking out when Rick included her picture on Instragam and responded to her on Twitter and then Stephen Amell’s response to her Mini-Felicity picture “I like hugs”. Needless to say, both days we all were on our phones enjoying the amazing responses of the fandom and cast.
The next day, we attended the Arrow cast panel and deduced that Juliana and Rick were added since two chairs appeared as we sat there (before seeing the announcement via Twitter)
It was nice to see the interactions but everyone was a little tired so the questions and answers were not as engaging as Stephen’s.
- favorite and funniest moment in set. Willa mentioned it was hard to choose with John Barrowman on set. Rick and Julianna took the more serious route with Rene and Zoe moments from 5x13 and Dinah’s first Canary cry. David and Willa joked that it was hard to follow that with fart jokes and Barrowman.
- most surprising moment to read in the scripts. Katrina was shocked that Oliver and Nyssa were getting married (“we all were” said the moderator) and Willa mentioned the many times she died.
- they all did joke about the possibility of dying on the island and whether they were coming back. “We are all dead.” “It’s a dream” Rick joked about needing to find another job. David said that Stephen had read 6x01 and just kept teasing him the night before “Dude, …., you didn’t buy a house, did you?”
- they were asked about relationships on the show they would like to see. Katrina said “Nyssa and Felicity” (after mentioning wanting a flashback of Sara and Nyssa earlier), Rick mentioned Rene showing interest in Thea, Willa mentioned that relationships don’t last well in the show (although she did mention later that she would love for Thea and Roy again) which David disagreed about.
- Willa was asked if Malcolm was a good father. She hemmed and hawed since Malcolm did sacrifice himself for Thea. She did acknowledge that her love for John clouded that statement and gave a yes
- what their doppelgängers would be like on Earth 2. Rene would be a cook or baker and very friendly. Dinah would be docile and wear pink dresses. Diggle would have a green power ring which would be ironic working with Aliens since Diggle is freaked out by aliens.
I visited Willa’s table first and got her signature in Green and then a selfie. She thought it was really sweet that her theme was called “Purest Heart.” I mentioned that I almost put down the Theroy theme as well because I love it and them. She said she missed them too. Very cool.
Next was Rick who was also blown away that I had written down all the themes and that Wild Dog has his own. He asked if he could take a picture of it as well and really appreciated it. I again babbled that it appeared in 5x02 and the fight scene in 5x23 and he was kind of impressed that I noticed those details. I told him that I loved the piano theme for Rene and Zoe and am hoping it will be on the soundtrack. He mentioned that they will address Zoe and Rene in Season 6 and gave us (Sarah was with me) hugs. He also has a beautiful smile which we need to see more on the show!
We then went to Brandon Routh’s booth. Brandon looks exactly like he does on screen: tall, handsome, and smiling. Turns out that Brandon plays trumpet and piano and so actually read the music in front of him. He said the range was a little low for trumpet but I had written the French Horn range (the Atom theme is both in horns and trumpets) so we proceeded to talk about trumpet ranges. He also asked to take a picture of it. I mentioned that I enjoyed Legends and was excited to see where it goes next. He smiled and said that it was going to be pretty crazy.
We proceeded over to Milo Ventimiglia’s booth because I am a big fan of “Gilmore Girls” and “This is us.” He is like David in that he wanted to know each person’s name and have a conversation. Plus, they both make serious and funny faces in selfies. I thanked him for the role of Jack: a good husband and father, which is rare to see on TV these days. To have both Jack and Randall on the same show as good men is a blessing and a rarity and he said he would pass that on to Sterling! We both agreed that Jack was the true Superhero because he was a real man in a world without superpowers.
We then attended his panel and we sat two rows away from him, thanks to Sarah. He was engaging and thoughtful in his responses on the stage as he is in person. He always asked for each person’s name. He was asked about Gilmore Girls: “no, the baby is not Jess’s baby” and that he loved working with Scott Patterson - a very special pairing and relationship. He also said the newest segment was like an encore in a concert. He was asked about “This is Us” and what a good man Jack is yet still flawed and his deep love for Rebecca. He spoke of the importance of knowing everyone on the crew which he learned thanks to his first line on “Prince of Bel Air” with Will Smith who knew everyone and took a few moments to speak to him. The panel went from his favorite books to what he likes to do on his down time to how he approaches acting. All responses were beautiful, engaging and fun.
We returned to the booth areas to find out about the mini-Felicity pictures/hug video (she was dancing with Rick at that point) As the day closed, we all traveled over to Juliana’s booth (thanks to Alejandra) and we talked about the new costume which had been revealed over the Internet and how it looks awesome. We did mention something about the weather (the bare arms for a few inches) and she appeared a little surprised and admitted that didn’t occur to her! She said if she is shivering, we will know why! She thanked us and gave us all hugs.
We then went once more to Rick’s who gave Alejandra and Heidi hugs and then as he left, saw me (remembering me from earlier) and shook my hand thanking me. Very sweet man.
We finished the day by watching Wonder Woman in an incredible theater that was more like a lounge or living room (couches, bookshelves, food). A wonderful end for an amazing weekend.
(My computer’s wifi does not work well since I moved a month ago. I did have pictures interspersed in this but Tumblr is acting weird. I did post most of them earlier however. I apologize for any weird formats from my iPad!)