do you have any tips for writing smut? yours is always so good!
DO I HAVE ANY TIPS. oh boy
- Buildup- arguably the BEST part are the butterflies beforehand. Hopefully character and relationship development has set up the moment well enough but little physical cues (breath hitching, pupils dilating, stammered speech, flirting, fleeting touches, unsure glances, noses knocking, lip biting) really make it great give me all of it
- Consent- not only is it yucky to be halfway into a sex scene and start wondering if character A isn’t exactly up for what character B is putting down, but it’s a good habit to set considering the younger audience of most fic. All it has to be is a hushed “hey is this okay?” or an enthusiastic “yes” or a “please” or even a very pointed nod. If you can add a short sentence about a character grabbing a condom or establishing if the people involved have been tested/are on the pill, that’s important too.
- Pacing- tearing off clothes, the tripping path to the bed (or the floor, or the kitchen counter, or the backseat of a car, or against the wall, anywhere really is A plus), kissing, lots and lots of kissing all over with a enough tongue to keep it interesting, and touching and hair pulling and murmuring to build to set up the big moment. It can be slow or frantic but there should always be at least a paragraph so the reader can visualize where the characters landed in all of this.
- Is it realistic- in my opinion, i actually think this one is up for debate. Personally i don’t really believe a scene without any fumbles or laughing against lips, but no one is under any obligation to include that leg cramp someone gets when they’re on top for too long or chaffing or skin slapping… it’s meant to be sexy. It’s okay to let it be a little unrealistically sexy. Just make sure to include those human moments- getting a little overwhelmed or having it not be perfect right away, ect
- Physical and emotional sensation is key!!- including things like heated skin, the way the other person feels, SOUNDS, tastes, knocking ankles, hands all over, biting teeth, swollen lips, bruising, stretching, satisfaction, vivid imagery, all the good stuff. It’s hard, but also try to translate the mental sensations of action, reaction, and getting caught up. Sometimes it can be obvious when an author who has never actually had a certain experience writes about it, but don’t let that hold you back. Some people do research, good for them, but if you’re nervous that you won’t be able to accurately portray a sex scene it’s so much better to just read slightly vague, emotion based prose instead of an author trying to convince us that someone stuck three fingers somewhere at once and the other person dug it.
- Don’t forget the characters- smut isn’t porn (okay it’s kind of porn) but the heaviest part of any fic sex scene is the fact that these two (or three or four whatever does it for you) people are crossing that border into intimacy. It doesn’t have to have any significance if you don’t want it to, but if it does, try to include it. Metaphors are great I love them, internal monologues work, or hey(!) good old fashioned character to character communication is nice. Which brings us to…
- Dirty talk- this is my favorite way to incorporate a character’s personality. Do they make oddly timed jokes? Do they go silent and strong or loud and expressive? How does the other person react? Do they ask for what they want? Also it’s really fucking hot and it’s drives the plot along nicely but again if you aren’t comfortable writing it that’s fine!
- Orgasms- they’re awesome. Write about how awesome they are, every toe curling, heat rushing, muscle spasming, eyes rolling to the back of the head, every melodramatic moment. Go over the top, it’s hot and fun and tbh the whole reason why any of us pick up smut to begin with. *but, some people don’t always come or it takes a little longer and it’s okay to include that!
- Aftermath- definitely the most difficult aspect of smut but on the upside it’s really great chance to check in with where your characters are. I use smut as a metaphor heavily. If you’ve done it right that scene should have some things to say. On the superficial level, blooming lovebites, cuddling, kissing, aftercare (if needed) are always appreciated!