For those not following on twitter - Mike Pence went to Hamilton tonight - got booed by the entire audience, was subjected to massive extended applause after “Immigrants, we get the job done”, and then King George sang “What Comes Next?” directly to him leading to a three minute standing ovation for the King.
1. “No John Trumbull (Intro)” - The Roots 2. “My Shot (feat. Busta Rhymes, Joell Ortiz & Nate Ruess) [Rise Up Remix]” - The Roots 3. “Wrote My Way Out” - Nas, Dave East, Lin-Manuel Miranda & Aloe Blacc 4. “Wait For It” - Usher 5. “An Open Letter (feat. Shockwave) [Interlude]” - Watsky 6. “Satisfied (feat. Miguel & Queen Latifah)” - Sia 7. “Dear Theodosia (feat. Ben Folds)” - Regina Spektor 8. “Valley Forge (Demo)” - Lin-Manuel Miranda 9. “It’s Quiet Uptown” - Kelly Clarkson 10. “That Would Be Enough” - Alicia Keys 11. “Immigrants (We Get The Job Done)” - K'naan, Snow Tha Product, Riz MC, Residente 12. “You’ll Be Back” - Jimmy Fallon & The Roots 13. “Helpless (feat. Ja Rule)” - Ashanti 14. “Take A Break (Interlude)” - !llmind 15. “Say Yes To This” - Jill Scott 16. “Congratulations” - Dessa 17. “Burn” - Andra Day 18. “Stay Alive (Interlude)” - J.PERIOD & Stro Elliot 19. “Slavery Battle (Demo)” - Lin-Manuel Miranda 20. “Washingtons By Your Side” - Wiz Khalifa 21. “History Has Its Eyes On You” - John Legend 22. “Who Tells Your Story (feat. Common & Ingrid Michaelson)” - The Roots 23. “Dear Theodosia (Reprise)” - Chance The Rapper & Francis and The Lights
- “There is no more status quo. But the sun comes up and the world still spins.”
- “We are engaged in a battle for our nation’s very soul”
- “I’ve been reading ‘Common Sense’ by Thomas Payne. Some men say that I’m intense, or I’m insane. You want a revolution? I want a revelation! So listen to my declaration: 'We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal,’ and when I meet Thomas Jefferson (work!) I'mma compel him to include WOMEN in the sequel!”
- “History has its eyes on you”
- “A civics lesson from a slaver. Hey neighbor: your debts are paid cuz you don’t pay for labor. 'We plant seeds in the South. We create.’ Yeah. Keep ranting. We know who’s really doing the planting.”
- “But when all is said and all is done, Jefferson has beliefs. Burr has none.”
- “Winning was easy, young man. Governing’s harder.”
That “Immigrants don’t steal your jobs, they get jobs while you’re sitting around thinking you’re too good for them!” thing annoys me.
Because that’s - not what’s really going on?
What it actually is is “Immigrants are victims of a system set up to take advantage of them, in which employers and businesses use the fact that immigrants are more often than not in difficult, dangerous positions to strong-arm them into working long hours in often unhygienic or dangerous jobs for less than minimum wage.
“And the organisations that do that are often either the same as or in bed with the organisations that push the ‘Immigrants steal your jobs / immigrants want to push their values on the entire country / immigrants don’t deserve benefits’ narrative, because it allows them to not only socially isolate immigrants and make them more susceptible to being taken advantage of, but also to do things like refuse immigrants benefits that would allow them to viably consider not working for less than minimum wage in sub-par conditions, and to frame any attempt by immigrants to politically organise themselves and push for fair treatment as them being dangerously subversive.
“While the ‘immigrants steal your jobs’ thing is bullshit, it’s calculated bullshit pushed by politicians and businesses at a working class population in conjunction with an equally calculated strategy of enacting laws that endanger that population’s livelihoods and labour rights, at a time when the shenanigans of politicians and businesses have caused an employment crisis and a recession, because it’s easy to turn people who are terrified into bigots, and it’s politically advantageous to do so.”
I mean, I realise that that’s less pithy.
But it also doesn’t glorify the horrible conditions and sub-par wages that immigrants are subjected to, so there’s that.