do you have any advice for starting out fanfic writers?
1. Pay the most attention to sharpening your grammar and spelling and formatting. That’s usually the biggest turn off for readers.
2. When you’re writing dialogue, try and actually say the words/exchange out loud in order to make sure that that is something a person would actually say and that is how they would say. It helps make your dialogue less clunky.
3. Don’t immediately become defensive or quit writing in the face of constructive criticism; learn from it.
4. It’s okay to use cliches. It’s okay to use “generic” ideas. Your writing is what will establish you - not your ideas. The idea is nothing without the execution. You can get a lot of ideas from au prompt lists or just rewriting your favorite scene.
5. NEVER edit while you’re still writing. you need to power through the chapter/one-shot/whatever completely, and then you can go back and edit. It will help you stay motivated and not discouraged, and it will also exponentionally help your editing as you’re focused solely on that rather than dual writing AND editing.
6. Write what makes you happy - not what you think will get the most hits. Do not let hits and reviews and such eclipse your original ambitions for writing.
7. When start a project, FINISH IT. Even if it sucks, even if you hate it, even if you will never end up posting it - try to finish it. Bc not finishing your work can become like the worst habit and it’s hard to shake it.
8. Let reviews encourage you - not control you.
9. HAVE FUN