illustrated flowers

Inktober day 20: deadly plants

Deadly nightshade also known as belladonna was once used in beauty regimes to dilate the pupils for an amorous appearance. However the toxicity in the plant is very high and if ingested it and can be fatal.

The berries and the roots are the most toxic part of the plant. If ingested the symptoms include: dry mouth, difficulty in swallowing and speaking, blurred vision from dilated pupils, vomiting, drowsiness, slurred speech, hallucinations, confusion, disorientation, coma, convulsions, and death.