- In a meeting with congressional leaders, Trump continued to push the lie that 3 million to 5 million undocumented immigrants voted illegally.
- According to the New York Times, Trump’s rationale came by way of an anecdote from famous 59-year-old Bavarian golfer Bernhard Langer.
- Trump described an incident in which Langer “was standing in line at a polling place in Florida on Election Day … when an official informed Mr. Langer he would not be able to vote.”
- “Ahead of and behind Mr. Langer were voters who did not look as if they should be allowed to vote, Mr. Trump said, according to the staff members — but they were nonetheless permitted to cast provisional ballots,” the Times continued.
- “The president threw out the names of Latin American countries that the voters might have come from.”
- Trump described one incident in which a single rich white person was unable to vote.
- That could have been the result of any number of bad but mundane reasons from inaccurate registration records to Langer arriving at the wrong precinct, while other nonwhite people were allowed to vote.
- This is not evidence of mass voter fraud.
- This is evidence Trump is suspicious of any Latino person who tries to vote. Textbook racism. Read more