11 Things I Have to Remind Myself Everyday
1. Don’t put on the sweatshirt he gave you that’s sitting in the top of your closet. It doesn’t actually smell like him.
2. Don’t listen to the playlist you named after him when you broke up. He isn’t worth ruining your favorite songs.
3. Don’t check his Instagram to see if he’s untagged himself in the photos you posted while you were together. He probably hasn’t, and he probably doesn’t even realize they’re still there.
4. Also, he probably hasn’t unfollowed you.
5. As much as you want to text him, call him, or drive to his house and tell him what you’re thinking, don’t. Nothing good will come out of it.
6. Stop trying to grab his attention when he’s around. He sees you. He knows you’re there. If he wants to acknowledge your presence, he will.
7. Crying doesn’t solve anything, but it’s still okay to do.
8. It’s okay to still be hung up on him, even after such a long time. You can’t turn feelings on and off.
9. Talk to other boys. You can’t wait around for him, and you can’t close yourself off to someone who could be three hundred times better for you.
10. Don’t let him dictate your life. Don’t stop doing things you want to do and going places you want to go just because he’ll be there. Don’t give him that power.
11. It’s okay that you loved him, it’s not okay to think that you’ll never love or be loved again. One day, you’ll wonder how you ever could’ve been so upset over him, because you’ll have someone so much better.
A message for all you youngsters out there: NEVER THROW OUT ANY OF YOUR MERCH FROM YOUR FIRST FAVORITE BAND. Trust me, when you’re twenty-something and filled with nostalgia from your lost youth, you will be so thrilled to still have this stuff safely hidden away in some unused drawer.