So I had cause to rewatch episode 3 of Critical Role today, and that one has some Dang Good Moments:
- The world’s most awkward assassination. Vex has her very dramatic and badass “We’ll rescue her, and we’re going to kill your god!” line, and then everyone just sort of looks at each other awkwardly for like five full seconds of silence, and Vax just sort of grins with a “?????” expression and finally slits the duergar’s throat.
- All the various watches standing guard at night fail to roll well enough to figure out what’s up with the seal of Bahamut carved into the wall over their camp, so it’s just a long procession of, “Huh, that’s pretty.”
- Scanlan sneaks alone into a war camp and gets front-row seats to the brain-sucking extravaganza.
- Vox Machina actually comes up with what might be their best and most successful plan yet: use Hallucinatory Terrain to slightly extend a chasm overlooking a 1000-foot drop and lure the enemies into charging forward. It still involves Grog calling it a “rim job”, Vax flicking double-birds, Vax nearly losing the flying carpet permanently, Vax nearly dying, and a lot of confused yelling, but hey, that’s about par for the course.
- The Wrath of Vex, Prequel Edition: “You lost our flying carpet, you unconscious bastard!”
- Vex and Keyleth rebelling and stealing the carpet to go check out a cave.
- Vex and Keyleth managing to make friends (allies) with a mind flayer. Keyleth gives him a tulip. Scanlan sings him a song based on “Sexual Healing”, which he enjoys thoroughly. Everyone tries to name him Clarence. What is this show.
- My favorite thing is this room full of professional voice actors doing a full-body sympathetic cringe every time Matt pulls out his throat-destroying Clarota voice.