Rn I'm living on kind of a toxic house for idk how much longer (trying to move out asap) but a lot of things make me anxious/angry/feel all kinds of negative emotions. Could this affect my magic? If so, what can I do to fix that? I can't go anywhere else to do magic and I have to be discreet, my parents are hardcore Christians. I don't want to stop doing witchcraft tho, I really enjoy it even if it doesn't work, it kinda helps me feel better.
It can if you think it will. I assume that’s already a worry in your mind, since you’re asking this question. It’s like how we say doubting your spells can actually help them fail - this is sort of in that vein of thought. If you think it matters, that it will have an impact on your impact, then it can.
A lot of people talk about not needing to be in a calm / positive state when it comes to your spellwork - it really comes down to your frame of mind. Some spells require those emotions to fuel them - mostly curses, but certain spells call for you bring up those things to bind or banish them as well.
So, at that point it’s a matter of letting yourself believe and know that it will not affect your magic, and trying to keep the doubt from your mind. And I know it’s easier said than done, but as long as you keep trying, keep pushing those thoughts, eventually one day it will just be that way (the whole “fake it ‘till you make it” mantra, right?).
You can still research magic and call yourself a witch, even if you’re taking a break between castings. I mean, it’s been, like, months since I did a “proper” spell, with candles and crystals and herbs and stuff like that. But here I am, still a witch, just focusing on expanding my knowledge at this time. That can be an option if you are willing to wait until you leave the house to do magic, so the negativity won’t impact it. And it makes me feel better too, I feel you.
Otherwise, you have a couple of other options as well.
You can [cast a ward] (tw: gif) around your bedroom - think of it like a layer of thick and potent energy coating your walls, as close to them as possible - so as not to allow any other negativity from the rest of your house in. Here are some more options for warding techniques:
- [Bringing Up Your Walls]
- [A Crash Course in Warding]
- [Earthen Shield]
- [Elemental Wards]
- [Energy Warding]
- [Energy Warding Before Witching] (tw: gif)
- [Energy Work: Expansion vs. Contraction] (tw: gif as blog header)
- [Harry Potter Inspired Ward Incantations]
- [How to Create & Use Wards]
- [A Long List of Ways to Spiritually Protect Yourself]
- [Personal Shielding]
- [Shield Yourself] (can be applied to spaces as well)
- [Ward Fillers]
- [Ward Types and Components]
- [What Are Wards and How Do You Make Them?] (an ask)
Alternatively, here is this post: [Transmuting Energy: An Alternative to Shielding] (tw: gif as blog header).
From there, [cleanse often] to keep any negativity out of your space, and from you. A discreet cleansing is open up a window and direct the airflow to come in, sweep up any negativity, and bring it back out again. The “light visualization” is also a wonderful way to cleanse a space with no tools. You can also [decontaminate people before they enter your space], an amazing idea brought forward by @stsathyre.
Self cleansing is also great to help with any negativity you may have picked up in the meantime - you still have to interact with the rest of the house right? Shampoos and body washes can be enchanted simply to help you cleanse as well as clean in your shower. My favorite method of self cleansing is standing out in the rain as it falls - and it’s getting to be better weather (at least where I am), the ideal time for this!
Discreet practicing comes down to a lot of [energy work], in my opinion - you don’t need any tools, really, just your own body and an understanding of working with energy. I do spells with my intent and tapping debit machines to make them load faster. I also draw down rain by willing it, and some subtle hand gestures.
Here are some more resources on discreet magic:
- [Acquiring Discreet Supplies] (an ask)
- [Apps for Witches Masterpost Pt 1]
- [Big Broom Closet Post Part 1] *
- [Big Broom Closet Post Part 2] *
- [Covert Witchcraft 101]
- [Discreet and Low Budget Witchcraft Resource List]
- [Enchantments for the Subtle Witch]
- [Master List of Low-Key Spells]
- [Little Things For Witches Who Keep Quiet About Their Craft]
- [100 Tips for the Secret Witch]
- [A Secret Witch’s Guide to Concealing Your Craft]
- [Subtle Magical Practice]
- [Thriving in the Broom Closet] *
- [Tips for a Beginner Witch Who Needs to be Discreet] (an ask)
- [Tips for Discreet Witchcraft]
- [Tips for Life in the Broom Closet] *
- [3 Ways to Practise Without Practising | Part One]
- [Witchy Uses for Your Phone for the Frugal or Secret Witch]
* not my choice of title
So. That was a bit of stuff, lol. I hope it can help you or give you some more ideas. Best of luck, anon! :D