During a question-and-answer session at ComicCon in 2016, then-showrunner Bryan Fuller said that the inspirations for centering the show around a female lead and a character of color were the actress Nichelle Nichols (who played Lieutenant Uhura, the only black character and the only woman in the main cast of the original series) and the astronaut Mae Jemison, the first African American woman in space. Sonequa Martin-Green, the actress who was eventually cast as this character (Lieutenant Commander Rainsford) is the first black actress to be the lead in a Star Trek series. Martin-Green also has in common with Mae Jemison that both women were born in Alabama: Jemison in Decatur and Martin-Green in Russelville.
If y’all sleep on Star Trek: Discovery I will murder each of you individually because. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT.
patroclus is a really exceptional character in the whole iliad. at the time the only recognized virtues of heroes were strenght and physical ability while;
1. patroclus’ dominant qualities are goodness kindness n sweetness
2. he was good friends with everyone (XVII, 669-672, XXIII, 252)
3. when he dies, during the fight his body is protected by like, everyone, included menelaus, ajax, meriones, antíloco n all those heartless warriors (XVII)
4. guys can you believe even some gods feel bad for him (XIX, 340-348) this is fucking zeus feeling pity for crying achilles who didnt even eat
5. briseis cries for patroclus too when she remembers how sweet he was: when achilles n his fellows destroyed her city and killed her husband and all her brothers, patroclus never left her alone and promised she was going to marry achilles soon (to not become a slave) (XIX, 287-300) we need to talk more about this
6. evEN his horses !!! cry !! for him because he was such a sweet charioteer (XVII, 426-440, XXIII, 283)
7. after patroclus dies achilles says he prefers the death of his father or his son than the one of his bf(f) (XIX, 321-327) + in the iliad achilles crying on patroclus’ body is compared with a lion crying for his pups (XXVIII, 314-322),,,, ,,well this is not about the goodness of patroclus but still important (actually we can add a lot here)
and did i mention he was homer’s fave??
guys patroclus was one of the very first Cinnamon Rolls™️
Anyways I really hope no ones thought of this before, and forgive me if this already exists.. But I was thinking, and wanted to create this one where basically Irkens aren’t so advanced and live in tribes. And humans get advanced to the point where they can actually travel to far away planets, and Dib is part of a crew of people going to Irk to explore and study it. When they get there they split up to cover more ground and Dib happens to have a run in with one of the natives of the planet..which is, you guessed it, Zim lol