So, this is my first post…
Yes, this is my first post ever and it’s about a Korean drama called “Because This Is My First Life”. I really need to put this out here because it’s in dire need of attention… It’s that amazing to me.
Here’s a list of reasons why you really, really need to give this show a watch.
- Shows a patriarchal family as disjointed and unequal, but doesn’t make the mother out to be weak. Instead, she’s nurturing and sweet and is close to her daughter, hoping she gets away and makes her dream come true.
- The main character is tough and feminine. She’s learning to speak her mind without having to be polite about it. It’s fucking amazing and refreshing, and sometimes makes me cry.
- The main character was almost raped (trigger warning, it isn’t graphic but it’s still scary) by her BOSS but doesn’t stand down. She not only yells at him, but when her colluegues (one of them a WOMAN) demands he apologizes and she take it, she quits her job and gives such an amazing speech that I almost cried.
- The main male character and female character are swappedin personalities. She’s an ex smoker with a boyish name who cleans, writes, and speaks her mind while he’s a shy man who’d prefer to live a single life with his cat. There are still some faults, for instance she cleans the house and he sees that as positive attributes to her, but to be honest I don’t see that as sexist because he doesn’t see it as “womanly attributes” he sees this as good attributes to a roommate. (Yes, they live together and it’s great).
- At first, they didn’t know each other’s gender. When he thought she was a male (because of her name) he really liked him. I actually, genuinely believe that he didn’t care whether she was a guy or a girl, and may even be bi (not wishful thinking).
- Mentions of asexuality. Main character may even be asexual.
- Both the guy and girl come from patriarchal families and it’s a negative impact on them both.
- Romance is not the most important thing for either of the characters. The woman is not the object to be gained, nor is the man. They both have their own troubles and tribulations and want to solve them on their own, and maybe even together.
- “Times are different” themes!!!!
- Every KDrama cliche EVER completely tossed in the garbage.
- Two amazing female friends with equally as strong personalities. One is rudely stereotyped by her male collegues, is aware, and is just… She’s a queen, okay? She tells her boss off for being sexist, she tells a guy that his skills in the bedroom are lacking when he comes across as cocky to her, and she’s just a good freaking character. Her other friend is in a relationship that is intimate, has been going on for a long time, and isn’t afraid to show the beautiful and ugly sides of relationships most KDramas are afraid of. It’s so refreshing and cute, and it’s amazing how they’re so close and show arguments and ahhh.
- Not afraid to show nor mention smoking and sex. Sex in a relationship is shown as normal, too.
- Marriage is not shown as the most important thing in a relationship, and every woman and man in this drama have mentioned at least once how marriage should not be the most important factor in a relationship. It’s refreshing to see.
- “Is your womb your personality?!” <<freaking amazing scene.
- Doesn’t give you a speech on following your dreams. It gives you a woman who doesn’t know what she wants yet trying to follow her dream, but feels like she’s walking in an endless, dark tunnel all on her own. She wants to make this happen, but it’s so much harder than it seems. It’s with beautiful and realistic analogies and just.. It’s so eye-opening.
- A man picks up on a boss making rude advances on his female employee and doesn’t let it slide. Like, YES.
- Good guys and bad girls, bad guys and good girls. Just, HUMANS.
- Good writing. Good pacing. Good characters. Good music.
- Cat named Kitty.
- Fan of Mystic Messanger? You’ll find Jumin Han right away.
- Will make you cry at 3am.
Just… PLEASE WATCH THIS! I want gifs, I want people to enjoy this, I want to fangirl!!!
If you have seen this and haven’t watched Strong Woman Do Bong Soon, I recommend that because both dramas are so amazing and refreshing and I’m glad more strong women female leads are becoming the forefront of attention and portrayed by beautiful woman with equally as beautiful males who love them for being strong.