I like your thoughts on the musical episode, but I'm afraid they're going to use the "7 tasks" s/l on Emma and H00k? If S6 is ending with Emma saying Yes to his proposal, idk what hope is left for SQ? I mean C$ is soo wrong, but there's never a consequence? IDK what to think anymore. How can they go from a C$ wedding to SQ?
With recent news about “A lot of Captain Swan in 6b”, “Captain Swan fans will be happy re: 6b”, “Don’t watch if you don’t like CS (something to that effect)” CS basically stealing SMF/SQ moments and scenes, the rumored engagement, and knowing also this might be the last season or at least the current narrative will wrap up, Do you still believe SQ could be endgame ? I just don’t see how they could break up CS after “everything” and get SQ in such few eps :(
- The 7 steps aren’t speculation about the future, it’s an analysis of what’s already happened. We’re already on step 6 - the song titles they’ve been using clearly apply to Emma and Regina - and moving to the last step. They don’t apply to Emma and Hook at all, so I don’t think your fear is based on the content of the show, just on a general - and in that sense justified - fear because (queer) women often aren’t treated fairly on television.
- As mentioned before here and here, Hook is Emma’s Animus. He is the expression of Emma’s own masculinity and her experiences with men in the past. While everyone’s speculating about Regina and the Queen merging, we’re missing what’s happening right under our noses. Emma and Hook are merging. The living together is a metaphor for Emma starting to re-integrate him. As Zeus said, he belongs with her, not romantically, but because he literally is a part of her. She has placed her own strength outside of herself and inside of him - as many women tend to do because society tells us to play nice - and now she has to ‘take her strength, her instincts, her armour back’. You can see it in their wardrobe looking similar and by Emma’s changing attitude. She has more and more moments where she acts like the Emma we met in season one.
- There have been at least two scenes where their marriage has been foreshadowed by means of a wedding dress showing up between them. A marriage is also called a merger. It would symbolize the moment when Emma takes her power back completely, but also - and this is very relevant in terms of the untold stories - accepts herself. Hook’s shame about his past belongs to Emma as well. There are things she doesn’t want to face which we will learn about through Hook. The proposal is a proposal of Self acceptance. Once they are married - or almost-married, depending on what they do - their relationship can end. She doesn’t need him anymore, because she has restored the balance between the masculine and the feminine within. She can’t embrace her sexuality before this step is complete.
- The spoiler we have is that Hook asks Charming for permission. While this is infuriatingly archaic on face value, it makes sense in that Charming is a positive Animus figure whereas Hook is a negative Animus figure. Their bromance and his permission tie in with the concept of Emma re-integrating these parts of herself.
- It makes sense that PR teases the wedding, because they don’t want to dictate how the audience reads the symbolism of their show. They are limited to talking about the face-value version of what is going on, so you have to see PR in that light - with the occasional hint about bigger concepts hidden in their PR subtext. It’s what they do best. Remember that there are no official marriage spoilers, so that is them teasing that story arc.
- The only people who would feel Emma and Regina’s relationship happening suddenly are people who don’t pay attention, think television won’t go there or are very stuck in and blinded by heteronormativity. Their relationship has been developing since the first season. The tropes are there. Love stories between women are often sexualized. A story that is primarily romantic and where intimacy comes first isn’t recognized as such, simply because audiences - gay or straight - aren’t often invited to recognize queer women’s romantic lives. What better way to break the pattern than with a story that does go there after 6 seasons of growing closer? It will just continue to progress as it has over the course of the series. It has never stopped happening, it’s simply gradual and the physicality will be the last step - just like in the story of the Skeleton woman.
- They have put in all the clues that Regina is bi/pan and Emma is a lesbian. Nothing about this is unrealistic or out of the blue. This might be the fairy tale version, but so many queer women get married and then do end up coming out. The setup is there. Calling CS ending and SQ happening unlikely or unrealistic is… tragically funny, considering we have no issue accepting dragons or fairies, but this experience that is a reality for so many would be out of the realm of possibility? I’m assuming something significant will happen for them at the end of 6B, but the further development would really be for season 7, so that’s another season. Again, nothing terribly unlikely about that.