So I'm working on a story with a Romeo/Juliet theme. The princess lives in a castle that only the prince knows about. If the prince's kingdom finds out about the princess, a war will happen between the two kingdoms. Do you have any tips or dialogue ideas? (P.S. I love your blog, so helpful <3)
• Establish why this would cause a war: ex. the prince kidnapped the princess, so that’s why the kingdom can’t find out. Keep in mind that these are two kingdoms who may have a lot at stake (ie human lives). I don’t think a forbidden love would cause a war as long as the rulers have an average IQ. It’s gotta be bigger than that lest people begin a coup when they realize their leader is a dramatic idiot. Now, if the prince has hurt the princess, I could believe a war over that. I mean, WW1 began with an assasination.
• You don’t want to repeat the exact Romeo/Juliet plot because that would be boring. I’d pick one or two aspects (enemy families, the suicide ending, the secret marriage, etc) and twist the rest/ make it unique.
• For the sake of my sanity, avoid the falling in love in three days thing. If that’s unavoidable, at least make it believable. Personally, I didn’t like R&J’s love at first sight thing at all. It felt lame and fake. Now, Titanic on the other hand (which also happened over a short period of time), I felt the spark even if it wasn’t true love.
• R&J’s double suicide could’ve been avoided a million and one different ways, but the thing that ticked me off the most was that Juliet’s fake suicide was really dramatic when her and Romeo could’ve just left Verona in the middle of the night. If you go the double suicide route, at least make it seem like it was their only choice.
• “No one can know about us. It would start a war.”
“This is real life, Romeo. My father wouldn’t waste his soldier’s lives because his daughter is mutually crushing on an enemy. I’m 15 for God’s sake. No one would expect this to last anyway.”
• “Take me to your village. I need to get out of this castle.”
“That’s dangerous. If anyone found out about the castle…”
“I know, I know. But I’d rather be dead than trapped between these stone walls for another day.”
• “If you die, I die. Remember?”
“Consider this: don’t let me die.”
• “Forbidden love between royalty. Saucy.”
“Don’t get ahead of yourself. I never said I loved you.”
• “I’ll never let go!”
“Wrong Leonardo DiCaprio movie.”
(This would break the 4th wall so bad)
This post basically turned into me fuming about R&J and sarcastic banter between the prince and princess, but I hope it helped!