Tips for the DLSU Frosh
I’ve just finished my first year in DLSU-M, and it was one hell of a year. Here are some things you should(n’t) experience and/or do within that time frame. Hey, I’m here to help!
ALWAYS HAVE YOUR ID
-This is one thing you should NEVER forget. Keep it in your wallet, in your phone case, on an ID lace, whatever floats your boat. Just bring it at ALL TIMES.
UMBRELLAS ARE GOOD FOR YOU
- For the first few months of your college life, it is fo’ shoo that rainstorms are abundant. Thus, you would not want to be drenched and cold while struggling in class. Baho kaya ng damit pag nabasa sa ulan ‘tas di nilabhan. I suggest that you get an automatic handy umbrella (one that opens with a click of a button). It’s pricey, but it’s worth it! If you’re lazy, make sure that a block mate has one. SHARING IS GOOD! With that, wearing white in that certain season is not recommended. Cheers!
- You’ll meet your blockies there. Get a couple of tips from the LAMBS (LaSallian Ambassadors) that might help you survive studying in DLSU. Pay attention to them. They know the in’s and out’s of the campus! Plus, it’d be quite hard to introduce yourself when everyone else in your block grouped up already.
JOIN (AN) ORG/S
- I don’t care if you say that you’d just want to “observe” things first. These orgs might as well just save your life. Don’t feel like being active? Who the hell cares! Just join. They have entrance fees (yup! weird right?), but it’s worth it. It’ll look good on your transcripts AND it’s an opportunity for you to recreate yourself. Of course, to be active is ideal. Take some time to participate in their activities. Kahit isa lang. You never know, you might just learn to love it!
INCENTIVES ARE YOU BEST FRIENDS
- So I’m pretty sure you’ve heard that DLSU students like to party. This might be both true and false. Who doesn’t like getting their crunk on(this is both sarcastic and serious in the same time. Figure it out)? Yet sometimes your profs would give you extra points if you attend some Org party/talk/activity/chuvacheness . TAKE IT. Don’t be mayabang and think that you won’t need it anyway. With one wave of this invisible wand and you might be flunking na. It just may as well be the difference of a 3.0 and a 4.0 (yes, that is possible). Although beadles don’t seem to need these incentives (well, because they’re sipsip and all), we all can’t be that blessed. So go go, Power Rangers.
TAKE TIME TO EXPLORE THE CAMPUS
- Froshies are known to hate looking like, well, froshies. You may feel ashamed and loser-like if you stop to look at the campus map, right? Better walk around during your breaks. Get to know the offices/study halls/canteens/classrooms/buildings/ecklavoo and such. It beats bumming around or worst… forced to study.
-Freshmen Fifteen DOES exist. Why? Because of the lovely restaurants surrounding the gates of DLSU. Maximize your being a frosh, and have food trip adventures! Trust me, no matter how much your budget is, there IS a place that can cater to your wants and needs.
-Find the right spot and you’d want to come back for more every time. If you’re feeling cheap, Agno is your best bet! You’d be full with 50Php (yes, that includes a drink). If you feel sorta sleepy and just wanna chill with some friends, Noriter is for you! Watch out,though…that’s known as the make-out place. Ignore them and you’d be find! Basta, there’s a place na magiging suki ka talaga!
EXPERIENCE THE AMPHI AT NIGHT
-Sit right in front of the Yuchengco building at around 6-7pm and experience the magic! It’s one of the best spots in DLSU, in my opinion. The lights and scenery is absolutely AMAZEBALLS. Zen. 'Nuff said.
LEARN HOW TO COMMUTE
- This might just amuse you. If you have long arse breaks, Makati is just there! This could be your means of making takas. Or if no one can bring you home, at least you don’t have to wait around for someone to save you.
LOOK TOUGH AND GUARD YOUR BELONGINGS
-There are a LOT of pick pockets guarding the doors of the campus. Backpacks are THE EASIEST to steal from. How? I don’t know. I’m not a pick pocket. But these poor bags are the most popular casualties in certain situations.
ENJOY HAVING THE “SPECIAL TREATMENT”
-Whether you like it or not, froshies DO have special treatment. Either from your profs, or from your senior IDXXXs. Take a grab of that hot piece of pie and slobber it all over your face, 'cause once you lick all of that goodness off, you’d miss it too much. Hope you got that metaphor! If you don’t, then message me. I’ll explain.
BUILD YOUR NETWORK
- Make friends. Try to be friendly and learn to socialize. It doesn’t matter if you think that you’re weird or what not. There ARE people like you in college. Believe you me, I would know.
-When you graduate, you might just need some of your school buddies to help you.
-The first year would be that transition you need from high school life to college life. DLSU breaks it to you gently. They won’t just drop you in the boiling water of stress right of the bat. Smile. Cheer up.
Hope this helps 'ya! Don’t hesitate to comment and what not. I won’t bite! WELCOME TO LA SALLE!