people are always anti-ableism until someone has a “funny” disability.
irritable bowel syndrome is constantly the punchline of jokes, even in supposedly “progressive” online communities. well let me tell you, there is nothing funny about:
- experiencing excruciating abdominal pain for hours every night after dinner
- shitting so much blood you have to be hospitalized
- having your first colonoscopy at age 14
- skipping meals just to avoid the pain your digestive system causes you
- flunking an evening college class because you physically can’t walk to it due to the pain
- skipping more meals so you’ll be able to go to class
- having to go to the bathroom multiple times an hour every hour every day
- the anxiety and depression that people with ibs are 70% more likely to experience than the general population
- being a teenager and crying in the doctor’s office while describing your symptoms TO YOUR DOCTOR because you’re so embarrassed
- the fear you experience when you’re definitely not on your period and you look down and see a pool of blood in the toilet
i am tired of seeing ibs jokes. i am tired of “representation win jkr confirms dobby has ibs lol”. i am tired of “this image is so cursed it gave me ibs”. i am tired of my personal hell being seen as a “funny” illness that even people who say they fight against ableism can point and laugh at.