HEY NERD! YOU STILL DON'T HAVE ANON ASKS ON! Anyway...have you considered a Hunchback of Notre-Dame AU? I coulda sworn I saw one before...
Sorry! I can only turn it on if I’ve got an actual computer, and I run this blog from my iPad/iPhone. I’d do it all from my phone if I could, but it’s much easier to write rough drafts on my iPad. I’ll try to get anons turned on today :)
And I have not considered a Hunchback of Notre-Dame AU. Partially because I’ve never watched the movie, or read the book. I mean, I know some of the characters and half of the basic plot, but that’s about it. And thinking about it, there are no love triangles in Miraculous Ladybug that involve more than two people. I mean, there could have been, but Marinette nipped all three of them in the bud.
And so, after careful consideration and a lot of googling, here’s what I’ve got.
- Let’s start with the obvious parallels: Hawkmoth and Judge Frollo. Both power-crazed old white guys with a penchant for purple and a weird obsession with a girl
- Second, Nino and Clopin. Nino starts the story by narrating the origins of the bellringer living in the Notre Dame Cathedral. He covers how Hawkmoth slaughtered a group of Romani who were trying to sneak into Paris, all except a child (he tried to kill the child too, but the archdeacon of the cathedral intervened.
- Enter Nathanaël: an isolated boy who’s lived as the bellringer of Notre Dame for his entire life, shunned from society by his red hair. (Hair which Hawkmoth convinces him is the mark of the devil, and if Nathanaël ever stepped outside, he would be killed instantly by Hawkmoth’s flocks of believers
- Also in the bell tower resides three gargoyles: Juleka, Rose, and Kim. Juleka considers herself to be deeply cultured, but when it comes down to it, she’s pretty innocent in the ways of humans. Rose is a sweetheart, and she likes to make things pretty. She’s always for Nathanaël expressing himself in positive ways. And Kim is like Nathanaël’s actual father figure. Kim is strong, but he acts like a giant dork, and is constantly bragging about how fast he is. They tease each other, and they all adore Nathanaël. (Rose especially loves his hair)
- Twenty years pass, and Nathanaël notices that the citizens of Paris are setting up for the annual Festival of Fools. He wants to go, but he’s hesitant. He agrees when Rose encourages him to break Hawkmoth’s rules and go to the Festival.
- So Nathanaël sneaks out of the cathedral and goes to the Festival. When he’s there, so many people adore him for his funny-colored hair. But everything goes south when Hawkmoth and his men “interrupt” the Festival. Hawkmoth does nothing to help Nathanaël.
- Then a girl grabs him and helps him escape. Nathanaël gets away from the soldiers, but is then confronted by Hawkmoth, who sends him back to the cathedral.
- As for the girl, she’s of Romani descent. Her name is Marinette, but everyone who sees her just calls her Ladybug, because of her spotted attire. She ardently fights for justice for her people and for anyone else shunned by society.
- She follows Nathanaël into Notre Dame, only to be followed by the Captain of the Guard, Captain Adrien. He doesn’t want to arrest Marinette, but he has to do something. So he confines her to the cathedral instead.
- While inside, she manages to find Nathanaël. The two become fast friends, and to show his gratitude for saving him, he helps her escape Notre Dame. In return, she gives him a map to her hideout, the Court of Miraculous.
- Meanwhile, Hawkmoth discovers lustful feelings for the Romani Ladybug. It doesn’t end well.
- When he finds out that she managed to escape Notre Dame, he is pissed the heck off. He starts a manhunt for her which involves setting a lot of houses on fire.
- During that time, Adrien realizes just what evil things that Hawkmoth has done, and openly defies him. Hawkmoth then sentences Adrien to death. An arrow hits Adrien, and he falls into the Seine, only to be rescued by Marinette. She takes him to Notre Dame, where he will be safe and cared for.
- Juleka, Rose, and Kim encourage Nathanaël to tell Marinette his feelings for her, but he stops himself when he realizes that Adrien and Marinette have fallen in love.
- When Hawkmoth discovers that Nathanaël helped free Marinette from Notre Dame, Hawkmoth bluffs and says that he knows where Ladybug’s hideout is and that he intends to destroy it and her with it. So to prevent this, Nathanaël and Adrien travel to the Court of Miraculous to warn her. Unfortunately, Hawkmoth follows them and captures Marinette and everyone else in the Court of Miraculous.
- Hawkmoth is ready to burn Marinette at the stake for rejecting him, but in an odd twist of fate, Nathanaël rescues her and brings her to the cathedral. Adrien releases Marinette’s friends and rallies the citizens of Paris against Hawkmoth and his men.
- To stop Hawkmoth and his men from entering the cathedral and killing Marinette, Nathanaël, Juleka, Rose, and Kim pour molten copper onto the streets, but somehow Hawkmoth manages to get past them all.
- He chases Nathanaël and Marinette to the balcony, where both Nathanaël and Hawkmoth fall over the edge. Hawkmoth dies as soon as he hits the molten copper, but Adrien catches Nathanaël at the last second.
- After, Nathanaël comes to terms with Marinette and Adriens relationship and congratulates them on falling in love. The two of them encourage Nathanaël to finally leave the cathedral (this time for good), and Nathanaël is accepted into society and hailed as a hero for defeating the wicked Hawkmoth.