What is your process when it comes to making pixel art? How do you choose colors for certain pieces? Have you ever experienced a really bad art block and how did you get through it? I love your pixels so much and they inspire me with my art and projects for games for school! Thanks for all that you do. 🤓
Hey- Thanks so much, and thanks for the questions! Let me answer in parts!
First, The process by which I usually pixel is:
1. Think of a concept, and write out/sketch possible objects related to that concept
2. Start pixelling from the object I feel most excited about
3. Look through my collection of existing pixel art to see if there are some shapes I could recycle, and find a few objects/photos to reference if I think I need help (for example, when I drew my banana, I went out and bought a banana.
4. Draw the line art version. I don’t usually freehand, but I do sometimes use curve line or shape tools, and then zoom in close and work on it one pixel at a time.
5. Fill in the object with the basic blocks of color
6. Play with resizing the object, getting the silhouette just right, making multiple versions and comparing before deciding.
7. Recolor the inside lines, add lighting, shadows, dithering, details..
8. I often make multiple versions again at this point and compare before choosing which colors to make the final version.
9. If at some point I feel the proportions, perspective, or lighting feels wrong, or something feels off in general, I look at my reference objects/images for help.
That’s my basic process!