the art of skipping class.
listen. i don’t recommend skipping class. ever. i barely ever do it. i hadn’t even done it before college. but i get it. sometimes, desperate times call for desperate measures. here are some things you should think about before you skip, as well as some tips if you decided to rebel.
first things first : why do you want to skip class ? ask yourself this. find a decent answer.
- are you sick ? if so, are you so sick that you can’t get out of bed ? are you so sick you know you won’t be able to concentrate ? in those cases, stay home. otherwise, go to school.
- are you unable to get out of bed due to your blankets being too comfortable ? dude. go. this is not a good excuse.
- are you behind on your homework ? do you have an essay to write ? an exam to study for ? i personally think that it’s a good reason. it’s almost always my excuse for skipping a class.
- is the class boring ? NOT good enough. but can you get all the material from the power points or the textbook ? good enough.
so you decided to skip class ? here’s what you should do.
- ask somebody for their notes. it’s simple. a friend, a stranger, who cares. finding notes is essential !
- if the teacher provides power points, make sure you use it. i recommend recopying (by hand or on the computer) the slides and using it as a base. if you know the teacher reads the power points and doesn’t really add any info, that should pretty much be enough.
- make sure you do the assigned reading VERY seriously and use your reading notes to add onto your power point notes.
- if there is additional reading, do it. even if you never do it. it’ll help, i promise.
- in the extreme cases where you can’t get someone’s notes, don’t have access to a power point/any other support and don’t have any readings, there are a few things you can do. if you know what that specific class was about, find some ressources online. if there is nothing on the subject well good luck friend !
the art of skipping class, simplified.
- don’t skip class if there is an exam/assignment the following week.
- don’t skip class if you are graded on participation, even if it’s only 1% ! every percent counts !!
- don’t skip class just because your friends are skipping. you are your own person. be responsable.
- don’t skip class to piss your parents off.
- do skip class if you truly feel terrible. don’t force yourself too much.
- do skip class if you’re very familiar with the topic. in college, you will often learn the same things in different classes. if you already know the subject, skip.
- choose your battles : don’t skip just because the teacher is boring but do skip if the teacher reads his power points. don’t skip classes with no visual/textual support but do skip the ones where the teacher provides summaries of the lecture.
- try not to skip two lectures in a row and even more importantly, don’t skip more than 25% of the lectures. your grades WILL suffer.