this is a bad post i’m sorry it’s a lil’ too real
warning: mention of eating disorder
(my health teacher was talking today about gaining weight, fats, things like that. and some kids in the back made some very hurtful comments, so here’s this)
(If you have questions - ‘is this okay to say?’ ‘will this hurt someone?’ put ‘em in my box!!)
here’s the thing about saying shit about people’s weight
- Don’t ever
- EVER fucking do that
you listen to me
the minute you mention anything bad about somebody’s weight or how much someone eats
YOU! ARE! A! BAD! PERSON! DON’T! DO! THAT!
you wanna know what that does to a person? take me for example
now i’m not a poster child for anorexia or bulimia, but yes, I’ve dealt with both, and trust me, it’s not something i’d wish on my worst enemy
but you know how they started?
comments like that are why i wouldn’t eat
- my best friend literally said to me one day, “You don’t need that”
- Guess what? She asked me the same month why i stopped eating
And you wanna know what?!
i’m still dealing with the after-effects
it seriously fucks you up
- i still have panic attacks when i gain more than a pound
- i dont get ‘peckish’ anymore, i get so hungry i feel like i’m going to be sick in a matter of seconds
- the shivers oof the shivers
- sure, maybe you say that to your friends as a joke
- sure, maybe they don’t take it to heart
- sure, maybe they don’t seem to upset by it
that ! doesn’t ! give ! you ! the ! right ! to ! say ! it!!!
what happened to me because of that comment was probably the worst thing that can happen to anyone, so think of it as a ‘worse case scenario’
but also remember that i never told her that her comment hurt me like that
so she doesn’t know that i wasn’t as smiley as i was in the moment - i was shocked she’d even say something like that - but all she would remember is me playing it off like it was cool
- she probably doesn’t even remember saying it
and yet it hurt me so goddamn much
so don’t say that it didn’t hurt them, because no one can brush off a comment like that