ITALIAN PIDGE HEADCANONS!!!
So since I’m Italian and have so many awesome family traditions and such a strong connection with my heritage I thought I’d share a few things I think Pidge might experience or do! (A lot of these are heavily based off my memories so bare with me!!)
(Tagging @bext-k in case you’re interested! I know it’s really long so no pressure!)
1. First things first, I hope she has a Nonna and Nonno!! We don’t know much about her family outside her brother, mother, and father, but I can totally imagine Pidge visiting her grandparents every Sunday for a family dinner. There’s probably SO MUCH FOOD and I’m sure Pidge’s parents constantly yell at her to get off her laptop and help her Nonna set the table.
2. THERE HAS TO BE A GRAVY RECIPE!! The paladins constantly argue with Pidge that the term is ‘sauce’ but she refuses to use it. One day Hunk tries to make it but there’s always something off in the slightest and Pidge always notices. I can definitely see Hunk spending all day trying to perfect it, eventually getting extremely frustrated as Pidge sends him back to the kitchen for the fifteenth time, complaining about the tiniest differences.
3. When Pidge is bored and isn’t using tech, she always has a pack of Italian cards on her and plays games by herself. The two games that I know are one player and if you win, you get to make a wish and supposedly it comes true. Every time she wins she always wishes to find Matt. Every. Time. She also tries to teach the group how to use them, which of course does not end well. “How can that card count as a nine, it’s just a guy on a horse!”
4. My Nonno is the biggest handy man I know which I can totally see Pidge having in the family and he could have sparked her interest in building tech. My Nonno also has a small work space under the house which is full of trinkets, supplies, and little inventions. He’s made tables out of bus windows and even a small satellite for one of my dad’s science projects! Pidge would LOVE going down there to see all the cool stuff her grandpa’s created and find herself creating a few things herself.
5. My Nonna calls me “la bella di Nonna” which if you google translate, it sounds weird, but to simplify it’s basically a term of endearment. She says it to tell me how much she loves me and I can see Pidge’s Nonna saying the same, which I feel like might make Pidge uncomfortable at first but once she’s in space and realizes how much time has passed since she’s seen her family, she starts to miss it a lot.
Now here come some pretty strange ones…
6. There’s an Italian saying in my family that we use a lot around dinner time “Mangia la minestra o butta ti da finestra” which basically means “Eat the food or throw yourself out the window” My family just simplifies it to “Eat my food or jump out the window” I could totally see Pidge growing up with this saying being said for fun at dinner, especially when her or Matt didn’t agree with what was being served. And of course she tells Hunk about this saying and he uses it anytime anyone’s tries to complain about what he cooks up in the castle’s kitchen
7. There’s also this another saying (or game you could say) that I learned when I was little. It goes “Moosh, mushie, no belle, schiaffe!” The translation doesn’t make much sense. The important part is that “schiaffe” means slap. (My family has a really strong dialect so if you’re Italian and want to yell at me for spelling and pronunciation I’m sorry!!) Basically on “moosh mushie” you squish the other person’s cheeks and then on “no belle… schiaffe” you slap them (IN MY FAMILY IT WAS LIGHTLY AND PLAYFUL I PROMISE!!) Pidge would totally do this to Lance when he pisses her off “Hey Lance, come closer…no closer”
OK AND IM ENDING THIS WITH A TEAR JERKER
8. There’s a nursery rhyme that my dad would sing to me all the time when I was a baby that goes: “Batte batte le manini questa sera viene papa. Porte le caramelle, tutto ________ le mangerà” (the space is where my name would go) this very roughly translates to “clap clap your hands this evening dad will come. He brings the candy all for _________ to eat” Sounds really strange, I know but he mostly only sang the first part just to try and get me to clap my hands. I feel like Pidge’s dad could have sang this to her a lot and because of his disappearance, the memory has turned bittersweet to Pidge. Especially because of how the lyrics are about the excitement of a father coming home and we have no idea if Samuel Holt is ever coming home…
If you read this, thank you thank you thank you!!! There definitely can be a part two but I know there’s a lot here already. I’m just happy I can finally contribute something to the Voltron fandom!!