A popular theory right now is that Haggar is Allura’s mother/aunt/etc since we now know she’s Altean. And it is a good theory; there’s lots of potential fun and awesome angst to be had with it. But I’ve decided I prefer my Haggar to be an independent Altean… i.e, one with no real tie to Allura except for their shared Altean-ness.
Here’s my reasoning:
Haggar is a character who hasn’t lived, or been used, to her full potential. We’ve only ever seen her exist as an extension of other characters. Like yeah, she has her own agenda and sub-plotlines and moments in episodes, but she’s ultimately very tied to Zarkon due to her loyalty. But now that Zarkon is out of the picture, Haggar finally gets to go loose. Yeah, she’ll probably spend season 3 ‘acting in her Lord’s image’ or whatever, but she’ll have a lot more freedom/independence, which I’m excited for.
So I feel like making her Allura’s mom/relative sort of… delegates Haggar as a character to a back role. Haggar’s Altean heritage no longer is her own; instead, she becomes an extension of Allura. ‘How will Allura react to her own blood betraying her? What does Allura feel about this situation? How will Allura react to Haggar?’ See? The focus is suddenly all on Allura, not Haggar. And maybe that’s what the writers have planned, but I feel like it really narrows the possibilities.
Having two unconnected characters from the same planet really allows us to explore the culture. If they’re related, they probably lived similar lives, or experienced similar things. If they’re not related… then you can have things like class differences, or differences in jobs, things like that. We’ve only ever seen positive portrayals of Altea, because Alfor/Allura/Coran all loved their planet. They’re proud to be Altean, and are open about their culture. Haggar is the complete opposite; she wears a hood to hide her past and the features that damn her to it. What I want to know is: What made Haggar hate Altea? What happened to her on that planet? What made her decide to betray her own people?
I just feel like making Haggar part of the royal family would limit the scope of her potential character and backstory.
[translations] 2017.03.25 NCT DREAM fansign at Busan fan accounts
1. Jeno: As Jisung is becoming the Maknae (Youngest) on Top, Mark is starting to feel like the youngest member. Jisung: HAHAHAHA Jeno: He seems to only treat Renjun and Haechan like elder brothers Jisung: Renjun ah~ (Jisung dropped the formalities) [nct_maru]
2. OP asked Jisung what’s his limit for the criteria as a noona, in terms of age. Jisung (after some hesitation),”40 years old?” hahaha [Haechan_love66]
3. OP: Have you received your birthday present from Jisung? Renjun: Not yet, I will ask him for it tonight. [jjelly_love]
4. OP: During the SM Rookies period, you did many performances right? Jeno: Yes OP: Any performance that left a deep impression in you? Jeno: Our first performance on SMTOWN Concert as Rookies, when we did (EXO’s) Growl [_hyun214]
5. OP: You have mentioned that you wanted to produce your own songs right? Haechan: Yes OP: Have you thought of any signature sound to put in for finishing the song? Haechan: Signature sound? for example? OP: Erm… JYP! Haechan: Ah! For me it shall be “HO! HO!” [cuddlyrabbitdy]
6. OP: Hello Jeno, any songs from the other units of NCT you would like to try? Jeno: (Almost without hesitation) The 7th Sense OP: Any reason for choosing The 7th Sense? Jeno: It’s just so cool. [enett_nct]
7. OP: Why did Jisung come to Busan so many times? Jisung: Because I have a REALLY really close relative here, so I come often. OP: You are friends with Chenle now right? So you don’t call him hyung anymore? Jisung: Yes hahahahah (looks at Chenle) We are (same aged) friends. [enett_nct]
8. OP asked Jeno if there’s anything he wants to try when he turns 20, Jeno said,”Chicken & Beer?” While Jisung said there’s nothing in particular that he wants to try [DalcHan_ | nct_jeuha]
10. OP: Who is the easiest to get along with? Jisung: Someone I’m comfortable with? *Smiled and pointed at Chenle who is sitting beside him* OP: Chenle? Jisung: Yes, because we are (same aged) friends [cuddlyrabbitdy]