Graciela, now that you have all of this advice, what do you plan to do with it?
“Memorize it. Repeat it to myself over and over again. Most importantly, follow it. I should never settle for lies, and demand the truth. It’s okay to make mistakes and sometimes I’ll have to make tough decisions even if it’ll be hard. I have to value my family, and find someone who will travel this journey with me. Grandpa Al said to listen to my parents, always. My Aunt Astra told me to own up to my mistakes and my mother told me to overcome what’s holding me back and not be afraid to rely on my family if I need to. Being a Gray is tough work. I am afraid of the responsibility, but I will take this torch and do what I have to do. I will pass this advice down to my child and tell them to pass it on to theirs, for generations to come.”
i cannot BELIEVE i never looked up a synopsis of the odyssey before right this very moment when the prison break writers have been going on and on about the new season being based on it until right now. oh my god. i will break it down a little bit, and please forgive me because i have never really enjoyed mythology and this is all paraphrased from a synopsis i found online.
okay so, the main focus of the odyssey is about odysseus trying to get home to his wife (penelope) and son (telemachus) after he was presumed dead and left stranded on the island of ogygia for ten years. while he’s presumed dead, penelope and telemachus have to deal with a group of suitors, who compete for her hand in marriage. when odysseus finally gets to leave ogygia, he has to get back to his family in ithaca, and a group of mariners help him get there. once he returns, he’s ridiculed by one suitor in particular named antinous, who he ends up killing.
there’s obviously more to it, but up there pretty much summarizes the stuff i want to talk about. first of all, there’s the obvious references (ogygia, ithaca, the story in general) but the parts that i’m most interested in are the fact that a group of mariners help odysseus get back to ithaca. who do we know that works on a ship now on prison break? sucre! also the suitor named antinous? jacob’s middle name is anton. and i do not think that was on accident at ALL. why even bother giving him a middle name when they haven’t even given one to michael? it has to be a reference to this. and just… holy shit.
- every time Ronan does anything a Little Gay Declan gets noticeably more high strung like he just can’t deal
- they mention laumoneir like twice which isn’t that important but it just made me realize that Greenmantle and laumoneir have this rivalry going and it’s really intense and henry’s mom rly has no business being there like um ma'am
- the gray man at one point lowkey seduced two random people into giving him beer by wearing a v-neck…okay buddy
- also he’s blond? And not like…gray? (Idk what I expected he’s not seventy but this came as a surprise)
- Ronan is super white
- so when Ronan sent gansey that…picture but then we found out it was actually kavinsky texting him whose dick was it? Like seriously how far did kavinsky go with this I kind of need to know
- before they left D.C. Mrs Gansey gave gansey a little mint plant and Adam a GODDAMN RUBBER TREE, someone draw them walking out the door with gansey holding the tiny pot and Adam lugging a giant motherfucking tree behind him
- where did that rubber tree gO?
- kavinsky is kind of just like a little kid who desperately needs attention and that’s honestly really sad, he didn’t know how else to get close to Ronan, I would say someone get him some help except…you know…he’s dead
- “the gray man gently threw Ronan across the kitchen table” is such a beautiful sentence that’s all
- I legitimately forgot the scene where Ronan talked to Niall in his dream and I didn’t know where the will came from
- it’s weird how gansey is the one who says “he needs to come to terms with his sexuality” he’s always been so proper and shit throughout the book and it feels weird to see him speaking like a teenager but ya know
- I put this in my drafts and forgot about it so now that I just finished rereading trk too there’s a lot of references to tdt in there that I didn’t pick up the first time because I read them so far apart so yeah
Okay this is quite literally why I hate having This Discussion on my blog considering how my inbox just imploded a little. Let’s just peel back the door of reality for a sec and say Your Fave Is Prob At Least A Little Gross. Yes, you too, your Unproblematic Fave probably did at least one (1) gross thing in his life
Tbqh I don’t know who is and isn’t a Tr*mp supporter when we’re talking hockey players. Considering how there’s varying degrees from “We should be chill and love everyone and respect the government” blind complacency to full-blown “I wanna suck Tr*mp’s dick” love. Where we draw the line is up to us, but there’s kind of a reason why I don’t go digging through players’ social media
there’s something about even’s little nod in this scene
because even knows. he’s not oblivious, he notices the way isak reacts to his presence, to him. he’s been noticing him for weeks, weeks before they first met. he saw the way isak was when he came over to his place the previous week, he saw the look in his eyes, the light in his eyes, he saw the way he smiled and laughed, he noticed the changes in his voice. he probably memorized his facial expressions and the things he said last friday. kept replaying them in his mind every single day, in class, before going to bed, when he was with other people
earlier in that episode, when he came to give isak his snapback, in a matter of seconds, he understood that isak hadn’t told his friends he had gone to his place, he understood that he didn’t want them to know. because he sees and understands. he remembered the cardamom on the cheese toasties five weeks later, how they were sitting on the floor of his room as they ate them, he remembered isak saying he had a drop of water in his throat, he remembered isak talking about parallel universes. because he pays such close attention to isak and the way he looks and moves and speaks and all the things he says
do you think that even, who saw this boy on the first day of school, who was probably looking forward to seeing him even when it was just at school, in public, in rooms and hallways with other students, would not notice how isak was acting? notice the way he’s been looking at him the moment he showed up at his place for the pregame? the way he starred at him when he kissed sonja and looked at him straight in the eyes? how tensed he was as he told him about sonja and how they’d been together for years? the intonation of his voice as he said his okay’s (been together since we were 15. okay. can’t dump her. okay). do you think that even who’s been desperately trying to spend time alone with this boy he was falling for would not notice the smile that spread all over isak’s face when he realized that even was messing with him, the smile he was trying to stop it, in vain? do you think he would not sense his attraction to him? the vulnerability?
of course even notices. and since he came to see isak in his kitchen, he’s only been kidding, pretending not to be serious. but with that little nod, he grows more serious. with that little nod, it’s like he’s saying i see you, i see it, i’ve seen you for a while. it’s reassuring. it’s okay. it’s understanding. i know, isak. i know. me too
so something I saw on twitter yesterday really bugged me. there’s people saying that the Power Rangers movie is getting way more credit than is due because of the way they handle Trini’s sexuality
ok LISTEN. It was never going to be the case of Trini yelling, “IM A LESBIAN!” or “IM BISEXUAL!” there’s no way they’d be so upfront about it. I thought the scene where she came out was nice, subtle, emotional, and I thought it was in-character how she’s still sarcastic at such a time. After all Trini is what, 15/16/17 in the movie? She’s discovering herself and doesn’t have to be 100% sure. there’s time for that
cuz get this. it’s the first movie. they’ve said there’s going to be 5-7 of them? People are acting like this is the end and we’ll never see her come to terms with this and that she’ll never label herself (though sticking to no labels is fine too of course)
The Power Rangers movie DOES deserve a round of applause for including an LGBT character, just because they didn’t go about it as directly as you would’ve liked doesn’t make it any less amazing. This is a small stepping stone you guys we’re going to see her character grow more confident throughout the franchise and it’s going to be beautiful