Astronomy Dress, complete!
Pattern is Butterick B6018, fabric is this outrageous cotton astronomy print, lined (and self-piped, that was an adventure) in gold satin. The pattern is one of Butterick’s vintage reprints, this time from 1952. Stylish time, 1952. Construction was easy and straightforward, even though cutting the fabric took forever. Almost every piece is wider than the fold, so I had to lay out and cut out each one individually. Probably took longer to cut than to construct, to be honest. It’s unlined, but I beefed up the hem with some horsehair braid for structure.
PROS: Looks great, fits wonderfully. I wasn’t sure if the empire waist would work, but it really does. I also really wanted to have something bright blue to wear come election day, and this more than fits the bill. The midcentury space witch aesthetic is underplayed, I think.
CONS: I hate side zippers, and, though I eventually managed to get the dress on, I’m not at all confident I can ever remove it. Also, I should have used a smaller print, since I didn’t realize the skirt had a central seam (it doesn’t show up on the technical on the back of the envelope) and pattern matching a print this big was hopeless. Alas.