Reasons you should be watching The Bold Type
The Bold Type is a new show on Freeform about three girls working at a feminist fashion magazine, just trying to live their lives. On first glance, it looks like the epitome of white feminism, but I think it will prove to be much more than that. Here’s some reasons too tune in:
1. Aisha Dee is in it. She’s amazeballs and if you haven’t seen her in Chasing Life or Sweet/Vicious, you’ve been missing out on life. She’s completely the reason I tuned in.
2. They had a Muslim woman actually explain why she wears her hijab. And why doing so makes her a feminist. When have you ever seen that before?
3. Did I mention that said hijab-rocking woman is a lesbian activist? Who it looks like is going to have a romance with Aisha Dee’s character?
4. They all work at a magazine and the boss is giving off serious Cat Grant vibes. Like badass woman with hardcore bonding heart-to-hearts with Katie Stevens’ character.
5. Oh yeah, Katie Stevens is totally in it. Faking It throwback anyone? She’s a new writer for the magazine who would rather cover serious topics than frilly ones.
6. They talk about owning your sexuality, with one of the girls standing up to her friends about it being her who gets to decide whom she sleeps with. Not to mention they talk about vaginas and vibrators. And a woman literally gets arrested for possessing sex toys.
7. THE FRIENDSHIP. The three main leads are adorably close. They bring champagne to work to celebrate a friend’s promotion, give random pep talks in the middle of the night, and help each other stalk exes, and its kinda hilarious?
8. I’m not going to deny it has some wrinkles to iron out, but if you don’t give it a chance to grow we may never see that. This is honestly the feminist show everyone is always wanting, so give it a chance before it goes the way of Sweet/Vicious, and we regret the missed opportunity.