- It’s okay if you don’t actually like being touched.
- It’s okay if hugs, even with your friends/family, make you uncomfortable. It’s okay if hugs with strangers make you very uncomfortable. It’s okay if you only want to hug people for a very short amount of time. It’s okay if it’s a lot easier if you are the one in charge of how long hugs go.
- It’s okay if spooning or snuggling with a partner is not a goal.
- It’s okay if you need personal space. It’s okay if you are the friend who will sit on the armchair while everyone else snuggles on the couch.
- It’s okay if you don’t even like when people type *hugs* or *pets* or *boops* or anything like that to you because even the thought of it just makes you squirm a little.
- It’s okay if it takes you a very long time to want to share personal space with a friend or partner. It’s okay if you never really want to share personal space with someone.
- It’s okay if you have to be in a very-happy, very-rare mood to crave physical contact. It’s okay if you only want physical touch in very sad times.
- It’s okay if you prefer high-fives and fist-bumps because that’s the right amount of contact for you.
- It’s okay if you want to cuddle or touch your romantic partner but not anyone else.
It’s okay if this is because of past trauma. It’s okay if this is because you are neurodivergent. It’s okay if you just don’t like it for no particular reason. You don’t have to explain or justify this to anyone if you don’t want to.
- Basically, tumblr can be a very touch-positive, everyone loves snuggles!, hug all your friends! place and I want you to know that you are okay if you don’t like that. It doesn’t mean you don’t care about your friends. It doesn’t mean you aren’t capable of love. It doesn’t mean you are broken. It’s not something you have to try to “fix” or “get over.”
- Some people need/want/prefer personal space. That’s okay.
- You’re okay.