Ok so here’s that lengthy race recap I promised. Grab a coffee.
If only you could snip up your life. Cut out the wrong parts, the parts that kill you inside. But then, maybe Noor wouldn’t want to run a marathon now. She would not be capable of what she is now. - a quote from the book that I read when I was 15, the book that made me want to run a marathon
I’d gotten a ticket for the latest starters, those aiming for a time above 4:30. Upon arrival I saw to my big relieve that there was a pacer team for 4:45, my most realistic finishing time. The pacing lady advised me to hang out with them until at least halfway and then only accelerate if I still felt like it at 30k or so. So I made that my plan. (I really have to laugh here, it was just the best, as if there was a chance in hell I’d be accelerating at 30k into my first marathon)
It was clear from the start that sticking with the pacer group was the best decision I could’ve made. No need to check my watch and worry every other minute if I was going out too fast or too slow. All I needed to do was to follow along and keep up with the three bouncing 4:45 balloons.
The whole first half, I was smiling so big. I realized that I would never ever be doing my first marathon again. My friends, my family and even a classmate
were coming. They were all coming to see me doing my first marathon and it made me feel so loved. Each time I saw my boyfriend (he was travelling the city to cheer on five different spots), it was just the best. My mom, the seasoned runner, came with the perfect things at the right time (a cap to protect me from the rising heat). I was running super consistent easy going miles. The pacing team was outright heartwarming. They were like running guardian angels. Each water stop they’d take extra sponges and water to hand out to other runners that could use some extra. They kept an eye on the runners that surrounded them and
chatted me up to see how I was doing.
Passing the 21k mark, I was doing quite well with some mild soreness in my joints and no desire to leave my beloved pacers at all. We just strutted along happily and consistently as a family of people who did not know each other at all.
I saw my mom again, with another perfect gift, handing me a banana. It was again exactly what I needed. But it fell at the next water station. I peed behind a container and shared my toilet paper with another girl.
30k passed and I could feel the temperature rising every fifteen minutes. The pacing lady had reminded me that this was only where the marathon begins. To be honest, it was savage. I saw a runner flat on his stomach, aided by the police. There was a woman crying. Uphill on an overpass, I felt the wall on my shoulders. I worried. The last thing I ate should’ve been an energy bar, but it was only half of that banana I’d dropped. Was it too little? My best response was just to stuff in half a caramel-salt-sesame bar. I think it helped. There was barely any saliva to chew it with. I’d brought electrolyte solution but it had heated up to a nasty warm mixture of salt and sweetener. I may have asked for a taxi.
Then pacing lady yelled: “Everyone is going to drink two cups of water here!”. There was a water station coming up. With sponges! And bananas! I spit out what was left of the energy bar, guzzled down the water, took two sponges and a banana. Thank god for bananas. So full of minerals and soft and easy to eat! This is probably where pacing lady saved my life. She asked me a mile further how I was doing and all I could reply was “better than a few minutes ago”. She said that had been the worst and we’d passed the hardest point. I wasn’t sure if I believed her. After all, according to her, the marathon had just begun.
I hadn’t really done so before, but I started ticking off the kilometers. Only ten to go. Nine. Eight. We passed 35 and I was running further than I had ever before. Another member of the pacer group cheered that I was PR-ing with every step and that if I’d run a few steps after the finish, then technically I would complete an ultra today.
Not only was I running further than I had ever before, I was also hurting more than I had ever before. I was looking in every direction to find an excuse to take a break. I just could not find one relevant enough. I knew I’d see my friends, my family and my classmate once more before the finish. I did not want them to come all the way to the city center of Amsterdam on sunday morning, only to see me walk. I wanted to pee but I was in the bloody city center with no porta potti in sight. And I did not want to lose the pacer group. By now, I had no clue how I’d make it to the finish without them. All I had to do was follow the bouncy balloons and the taped legs of pacer lady. It was all I could do.
I passed my boyfriend (sign: “only 5,5 km we love you!!!”), I passed my mom and brother (sign: “#vera #yolo”). The closer we got to the finish, the more I looked for reasons to stop, the less reasons I could find. I could not believe my eyes that my classmate was actually there at 40,5 km, running the last kilometer to the stadium with me. I almost got caught between two runners, forcing me to sprint away, making me realize that there was power in my legs for a sprint. I came in the stadium so fast that I almost got confused for a fast half marathon finisher.
The actual finish is a blur. All I remember is that I realized that I really did just finish a marathon. I hugged pacing lady and I hugged a Frenchman that had carried a wheelchair (with a person in it! the whole marathon!). I thanked the two other pacers and went to lie in the grass, in the sun.
Now Jimmy’s car won’t be done until Thursday. I’m honestly about to call their corporate HQ and demand they just take the car back and give us back our $14k in cash. It’s absurd that they have now promised us 5 times it would be done a specific day and it wasn’t. I am fairly confident that Jimmy or I could have learned how to do this repair ourselves in the time it has taken them. At least we finally got the insurance check for the car. Good thing we had the money to cover buying a new car out of pocket and weren’t just SOL and waiting over a month to get the check to buy a new one. Maybe I should send a complaint to my CEO while I’m at it explaining how much some of our processes suck from an employee and member perspective.
I’m currently in PA school with close to a 4.0 GPA, and with college and back to school starting up, I’m dropping some tips for y'all. A hoe gotta get bomb ass grades if ya want a bomb ass career and to be successful af. So let’s get it✨
1. Write out your notes. Have two notebooks: one for when you’re in class (this one can be messy) and one for at home (this one is the neater one, for color coding, formatting, and all that organizational jazz). Writing things out is proven to enhance memorization 7X more than just reading is.
2. Have a go-to format for your notes. Numbering, bullet points, whatever floats your boat.
3. Type out your notes. I use Google Drive, because it automatically saves all your shit, and you can access your notes via your Google account literally anywhere. Typing out your notes does the same thing writing them out does, as far as helping you review the material.
4. Use Quizlet. Quizlet is a free flashcard website/app that allows you to type in all of your flashcards and definitions, and gives you review options like matching, testing, flashcard mode, and more. This shit made me my high schools valedictorian, no lie.
5. Keep your old quizzes and tests. Often times, teachers will ask similar questions on finals.
6. For math-based subjects, always always always show your work in your notes. I try to explain each step for a math problem in the margins of my notes, and generalize how to do each problem at the end.
7. Do practice problems consistently.
8. For my college hoes: never take an 8 am class. You think you can do it because you did it for high school, but I promise you will regret it. If there’s no avoiding the 8 am lecture, bring coffee and skip any makeup/hair that day. Sleep is too important.
9. Make flashcards. The night before my exams, I like to try and fit everything I need to know for a specific chapter/topic onto one flashcard, in order to weed out main ideas.
10. For essays, easybib.com is amazing with free citations to avoid any plaigiarism or incorrect bibliographies.
11. Rent👏your👏textbooks👏. Unless your teacher specifically requires you BUY it, you likely won’t need the actual textbook. Buying access codes for the book online is hundreds of dollars cheaper.
12. If you do get your textbooks, a lot of them have chapter summaries at the end of each chapter. Be sure to write out/type out/review those summaries.
13. For science labs, if you are allowed, take pictures of any models or slides you need to know for your exams. Pretty much all labs won’t let you take pictures of cadavers or animal dissections, but plastic models and microscope slides should be fine.
14. If you have a question, ASK YOUR TEACHER. It is better to look stupid in class and get your clarification, than to look stupid when you get your exam back and actually have it count against your grade.
15. Do study groups. I have two nursing friends in some of the same classes as me, and we’d always meet up before exams to go over the material. We would bring dry erase markers and map out shit in empty classrooms, taking turns explaining shit to each other until we nailed it.
16. Try to teach the material. Like I said in #15, study groups are great for this. By teaching the material out loud, you are subconsciously reviewing it yourself. This is a HUGE help.
17. Take breaks. You cannot exhaust yourself and expect to still recall anything you learned.
18. I know everyone does this and there’s no avoiding it sometimes, but DO NOT CRAM. Gradual learning is most effective.
19. Have one day every week where you don’t do any schoolwork. You need time to reboot.
20. Use your phone’s calendar/task checklist app for all major assignments, due dates, exam dates, study plans, appointments, etc. Set reminders as needed.
21. Charge your phone in another room while studying. No distractions.
22. Rainymood.com is a free website that plays a 30 minute loop of rain sounds. It helps me focus like nothing else, especially in my loud ass household, and every time the loop stops and replays, I know to take a break between 30 minute study sessions.
23. Feel distracted at home when studying? Try studying in a library, cafe, or even at school. I find that going somewhere else to study actually forces me to pay attention to what I’m doing, for some reason.
24. Reward yourself for good grades. Buy yourself a slice of pizza or a new highlight, have a netflix marathon, go to a party, or take a nap. Whatever conveys a job well done, do it. It’ll make all that studying feel that much greater when it’s over, and you’ll have a goal to work towards.
25. Sit in the front of the classroom as often as possible. You’ll be forced to pay attention, be able to actually see the board, hear the instructor better, and you’re more likely to have your questions answered quickly because your teacher will actually see your hand go up.
26. Caffeinate. I prefer tea because it’s healthier, but coffee works too. Ya girl is NOT a morning person, but my morning tea at least helps me pay attention during earlier classes.
27. Keep all of your school shit organized, together, and labelled.
28. Do NOT skip a class just because you’re lazy or don’t feel like going. The temptation is real sometimes, but a hoes gonna be pissed when ya see your participation average decline.
29. This may just be a psychological thing, but I love to use the same colored/brand of pen for all of my notes/assignments/tests. It just makes everything seem more uniform, and I’m able to recall information better.
30. Trouble taking tests? For any multiple choice question, read the question and try to answer it first without reading any of the options. If your answer doesn’t match the options, then use process of elimination to find the best answer. For true/false questions, write out justifications for each answer (you can also do this for multiple choice). You’ll be acing your exams in no time.
31. Chewing gum during class/studying, and chewing that same flavor gum during the exam, has been scientifically proven to boost your memory recall.
32. Literally any time you have the opportunity to do extra credit, DO IT. Cherish that shit.
33. If you aren’t doing so hot in a particular class (literally any math class for me lol), schedule a private meeting with your professor and go over test questions you missed, or topics you didn’t get. If you know your professor is a flop, or can’t get an appointment, meet with a tutor or another professor of that same subject. Sometimes another voice can shed new light on a difficult topic.
34. For essays, readable.io critiques your writing for free based on readability, grade level, formality, tone, grammatical errors, etc. Seriously a life saver.
35. Also thesaurus.com is ya bff for fancier words/phrases to make your writing more eloquent
36. Always make an outline for every essay or project to organize what you want to say. This will keep you on track, and help you work around any quotes or sources in you writing to make sure your writing is hella organized.
That’s all I can think of for now, please please please feel free to add and share. Enjoy those 4.0’s, hoes💞
Okay so thought I’d let you tumblr guys know some stuff/warnings about Storm Ophelia
It’s due to hit Monday 16th (aka tomorrow). Apparently Kerry will face it around 6am.
There is a red weather warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry, Limerick, Waterford and Wexford.
The rest of the country has an Orange weather warning but that can probably change so be aware
There is a high chance of power cuts so remember to get lots of bottled water, torches, candles etc.
Charge your phone to 100% and if there are power outages DO NOT use your phone in case you need it for an emergency. Read a book instead or something.
In case of floods protect all important documents and stuff. Put all valuable items in high presses.
Stock up on food too (Last time we had a storm this bad we forgot to buy food for the house and it was awful)
For people who have anxiety about the storm remember that this is only temporary weather and do whatever you can to keep yourself calm. Whether that is reading, drawing or keeping yourself busy by cleaning the house. The storm won’t last forever and I promise you’ll be safe.
Check whether or not your school/work has been cancelled to avoid any unnecessary travel
Okay that’s all I can think of at the moment but if anyone wants to add anything to the list feel free to write away. Stay safe Xx
the iconic mildliners™!! as much as im obsessed with them, i gotta have some real talk here. yes almost all studygrams/studyblrs have them, they look so aesthetically pleasing, and they might seem like they can change your life forever but tbh you don’t have to spend $11 on 5 of them, you can get 10 for $4 in Daiso for the same exact colours (yes, i bought the Daiso ones just to compare and i can guarantee you the cool and the fluorescent sets are identical.) AND YOU DONT NEED THEM TO START A STUDY ACCOUNT!!! it was super hard to search for especially in where im from, but if you dont live in the US, get it from eBay and i promise you i searched for days for the cheapest place and eBay is where you can get all 4 sets for $30! this wasn’t sponsored, but i just thought id help everyone who desires to buy them to get a cheap deal. anyways i hope all of you have a good and productive day or night!
Construction revenge ten years in making and why I will never have another business partner.
TL:DR at bottom.
A little over ten years ago, when I was a young carpenter, I met a guy who I’ll call “chad” because f*ck chad.
Chad was a new hire by the company I was working for, and became my helper. We got along famously even though he was 10 years older than me, he didn’t mind working under a 23 year old carpenter as an apprentice.
Chad and I had worked together for 6 months when he brought up the idea of starting a business together, he figured between the two of us, we could easily run a crew and build houses.
eating was weird because i knew i had to be a “good girl” about it, i knew i had to not obsess, but obsession was expected from me by society. i would buy the food i wasn’t obsessed with only to check out in an aisle where magazines boasted women folded over themselves, thin and glossy, even beautiful in a pout, bold letters underneath promising new ways to obsess about food. i didn’t really care about being thin, but i knew i should care, but i didn’t care if other people were big, but i felt uncontrolled when i felt big, i felt swollen or greasy or gross, or all of the above. i loved when i could forget about it, but i often couldn’t, feeling like other people ate less, that they judged me for eating more - even though i never judged anyone for what they ate or how often. it was a fine line. we could joke about diets and calories and complain about how wide we were - but if you talked about it too much, threw away too many lunches, didn’t smile fast enough, you were crazy. and it became this odd hole, where i’d eat to fix things, but eating made me feel guilty. i couldn’t do it normally. three meals was too many, then not enough. one meal would have thousands of calories one day, the next i would spread out celery sticks for all three. i just wanted to be normal. something about eating took that from me.
We have two wizards, a gnome and a halfling, in our party, and the party split up to go shopping. The gnome, for no particular reason, decided to disguise himself as the halfling when he went to buy lodestones from this very friendly goliath shopkeeper named Sebastian. A little later, the halfling showed up at the same shop, also looking for lodestones.
Sebastian: Oh! Back for more already?
Halfling: Um…no? This is the first time I’ve been here?
Sebastian: But…weren’t you just…I… I’m so sorry, I promise I don’t think all short people look alike. I mean, not that you’re short! I just…I’m not racist!
To Rap Monster Jungkook: to Rap Mon-hyung who is sleeping besides me right now, I think you are really good looking. Jin: Mon-ah, did you know that I took care of all your belongings when we are in-flight? I bet you didn’t know this right? You might drop things here and there or forgot about where your belongings are but you are still the cool leader / dongsaeng I know. V: hyung, please stop being so clumsy! stop breaking things! J-Hope: my friend! Namjoon! Rap Mon! when are we going out to have fried chicken again? Suga: our leader Rap Mon, namjoon ah, thank you for being our leader. Jimin: hyung, please stop losing your phone, you are not going to buy a new one again are you? Rap Mon, #1 the coolest on earth when on stage, and also #1 clumsy off stage *laughs*
To Suga V: our Suga-hyung please stay healthy and don’t get hurt, world’s best angel Min Yoongi! Jungkook: Suga-hyung! we should go out to have lamb skewers soon! but first thing, it’s time we need to be active go to the gym and lose weight. Jin: Yoongi-ah, you are forever my roommate. Even if we get married in the future, can we stay together in the same house too? J-Hope: hyung! thank you for the birthday gift you got me, promise I will buy one for you when it’s your birthday. Jimin: hyung, I really like it when you smile. Rap Monster: hyung, you really look like a grandpa nowadays,please be more active don’t just sleep!
To Jin Rap Monster: although you sometimes act like you have that mental age of 2.6, you are still the hyung I love and respect. V: can I please have the “debut Jin” back? not this Jin-hyung who throws dad jokes everywhere *laughs* Jimin: thank you– JM ; you are the funniest among us– JM ; you like to crack dad jokes– JM ; and sometimes pretend to be clumsy–JM but really, thank you, thank you for everything you’ve done. J-Hope: our beloved Jin-hyung, I really like you hyung! but please act like your age? Suga: Please act like your age, hyung! Jungkook: I really like how you always brings a smile on our face, Jin-hyung hwaiting!
To J-Hope Jimin: To Hobi-hyung who looks 200% cool on stage, my roommate, sometimes who act like an adult and sometimes like a playful teenager, who always go on a shopping spree with me, who always taking care of the members, who is noisy 24/7, please stay healthy and don’t get hurt. Jungkook: Hobi-hyung who is always bright and cheerful, I’m learning from hyung to compose songs from now on. Rap Monster: like a horse, like a pro on stage, with really good fashion sense, who is working hard on composing songs, our center Jung Hoseok. The “Seok” I admire the most? Kim Ji-Seok (south korean actor). Jin: Hope-ah, you are like the guide in my life, you teach me how to perfect my dance moves, but it’s really scary when you cold me, I’m sorry
V: I really like when you smile, and your cheerful personality. thank you hyung, and I love you.
To Jimin Jin: Jimin-ah, you are truly an angel and for that, I wrote an acrostic poem just for you.
박: 박씨가문(the Park family) ;
지: 지인짜 멋있는 친구야 (a really cool friend) ;
민윤기 (Min Yoongi). Suga: Jimin’s biggest charming point is when he works hard, lets stay together forever and I received the gift you bought me, thank you. J-Hope: our Jimin! the coolest and handsome Jimin! please clean all the clothes you piled up in the room when we get back to the dorm later. V: please stop doing aegyo because it’s not cute at all. but then why I still find it very cute whenever I see you do aegyo? Rap Monster: although you can be very annoying sometimes, you are sexy but minus your short height *laughs* , looks really cool when you dance and is working hard as always, our chim chim. Jungkook: why don’t you ever call me “hyung”? just joking haha. Jimin-hyung who always shines bright, manggae-tteok forever!
To V Suga: be it video games or music, you can do it really well, hwaiting! Jin: whatever video games you are playing, can’t you just turn down the volume a little bit? Jimin: Taehyung my best friend, can you just stop playing video games for a while? Please stop before I throw your computer away. Rap Monster: it gets really noisy when you are playing video games but I bet you didn’t know this. You may be really oblivious and didn’t realize whats going on around you, but you are still the cute and lovable Kim Taehyung I know. Jungkook: Hyung, please stop playing video games, you might get hurt and die if you play too much! J-Hope: you know I always love you, our Taehyungie~ please stop playing games and come practice with me.
To Jungkook V: Jungkook ah, I’m the hyung, the real hyung here. our Jungkookie, lets play with me. Rap Monster: can be very dense sometimes, very good looking like came straight out of manga, with 10/10 passion, have big eyes and is muscular, loves wearing white t-shirts a lot, #1 for lower down our group’s average age, Jeon Jungkook. The “guk/kook” I like the most?
된장국! (soybean paste soup) Jimin: please stop growing up so fast, you are still our baby. Suga: Jungkook-ah, it seems like you are learning how to compose songs, hwaiting, don’t give up! J-Hope: Jungkook-ah, lower down your speaker’s volume please! I can even hear even when I’m in my room, you muscle-pig~ Jin: JK! what’s with you and the speakers? lets go out and play with me will you?
TRANS: jimint1013 DO NOT TAKE OUT OR REPOST WITHOUT CREDIT
if you haven’t listened to sewoon’s album preview do yourself a favor because this will bless your ears, make the sun shine brighter, make the birds start chirping, give you good luck, good grades and all the good things will happen to you because this. this is the album of 2017. you’re welcome.
Hi!!!! For your Sweet Affectionate Moments Meme, number 32 please!! Pretty please with Sterek??? PS: Love your writing!!!
32. Getting caught in the act.
Stiles’ dad says, crossing his arms in front of his chest, “I can
understand the first time. You were young, had been dating for a few
weeks. Hell, sometimes I couldn’t resist your mother either.”
thumps his head against the kitchen table and groans.
the second time was my fault.” His dad continues. “I walked in
without knocking, I’ve learned my lesson.” He still glares at Derek
though, like it’s his fault Stiles ended up the way he is. “But for
sake, you have a daughter
Said daughter is currently sitting on the floor, mouthing at Derek’s
fingers and drooling all over herself. She can’t even sleep the
entire night yet.
Stiles cries out, “can’t you just –”
won’t happen again, sir.” Derek says, barely holding his laughter
at Stiles’ horrified expression.
Stiles yells, making Mia start laughing at the noise. He takes a
moment to smile down at his daughter and then turns to his husband
again. “But – I like having sex on the couch.”
Both Derek and Stiles’ dad scream.
I do!” He points at Derek. “And it’s not like you said no.”
ducks his head down, the tip of his ears going red. Hah,
he likes having sex on the couch too. Stiles grins.
too old for this.” His dad complains, running a hand through his
hair. “Give me my granddaughter.” He gestures for Mia and Derek
passes her quickly. Stiles always found adorable how even after ten
years Derek is still scared of Stiles’ dad.
Mia laughs as her grandfather tickles her and they all stare at her,
her back by six!” Stiles yells at his father’s retreating back,
waving as Mia smiles at him.
He screams back. “So you learn not to have sex where your daughter
ten months, she doesn’t even know what a blow-” Derek clasps a hand
over his mouth.
stop talking, please.”
He mutters, watches as Stiles’ dad drives off and then heads back
inside. To do laundry probably, Stiles frowns, Derek loves being all
domestic when they’re baby-free.
Such a wasted time.
need to start locking the door.” He says, following Derek into the
need to stop having sex on the couch.”
Stiles throws his hands up. “Ah, come on. Not you too!”
have a baby, Stiles.” Derek says, collecting the toys they had laid
out for Mia to play while they were in the kitchen. “We have to be
I like having sex on the couch.” Stiles says. “I like being able
to touch you all the time.”
“We spent a long time not being able to do that.” He still
remembers the two years away, Derek in New York and Stiles calling
him at night, pretending he just wanted to ask about a book or if
Derek would buy him a Mets jersey. He remembers missing Derek like
crazy, going to New York just to see him and then spending the entire
weekend trying not to give away his feelings.
Mostly, he remembers Derek kissing him on his last night there,
remembers the feeling of finally being able to be with him, to run a
hand over his hair and drop a kiss on his shoulder just because.
He remembers Derek promising they’d be together forever.
“Stiles,” Derek says, kissing the top of his head, “I love you.
That’s never going to change. But I also love our daughter and I’d
rather not answer to sex questions before she’s at least
Despite himself, Stiles snorts, slumping against Derek’s chest.
“Fine. No sex on the couch or the kitchen table. Forever.
This is so unfair.”
“Well, you know she’ll move out eventually, right?” Derek asks.
The thought of his adorable baby girl growing up and going to college
or even getting married is not something Stiles is prepared to deal
with now. “Hey! One problem at a time!” Derek snorts, pulling
Stiles in for a kiss.
“Come on, we can still have sex in our bed.”
Stiles grins, forgetting about Mia and his dad and everything else as
Derek begins to unbutton his shirt. “I like the way you think.”
In the end it doesn’t really matter if it’s on the couch or the bed,
as long as Stiles has Derek, the location is only a detail.