Okay I'm totally going to need you to convince me how this is going to be okay because right now I actually feel pretty sick. I don't see how they have enough time once they leave the framework for Fitz to deal with this trauma. Fitz has killed a woman now, even if he wasn't aware he was doing it. And if he tortures Daisy, I just don't think I can watch that. To come out and have their happy engagement would be wrong and rushed. When do they get to heal? Where is the payoff???
Hi Anon! And anyone else who needs this…
Its Going to be Okay!
This story isn’t supposed to be happy or fun, we are in a reality built by a crazy, evil book influenced, programmed by the questionable Dr. Radcliffe, and obsessed with becoming a real girl AIDA here. She has twisted each and every single character. Fitz and May more than anyone else.
I’m just going to run down my major points here. I hope it helps. Again I am not ashamed to say that I am still enjoying this arc. Its uncomfortable and frustrating as all get out. But it has me rooting SO HARD for Fitzsimmons right now. For the entire team right now.
Fitz partly a distraction:
We all know that something the writers do is the fake out. They have us looking at and focused on one thing so we literally don’t see the truck that is coming at us from left field. Season 2 for example. When Real Shield made their move it looked like they were our big bad of the season, that would be the arc. When in fact it was Jaiying and the Inhumans that were the bigger threat. So right now they have the fandom so wrapped up in Fitz….that we are ‘missing’ that thing over in left field about to hit us. A betrayal is coming guys and its going to hurt.
Fitz has been brainwashed:
This is not our Fitz. Period. Iain said at Wondercon that they were two different people. Two different characters. Radcliffe said when talking to him, he talked about our Fitz as a different person, because he was. We saw over and over throughout the episode AIDA manipulate him. I see things like taking his hand, asking for him to protect her, of vocalizing they are trying to take him from her as the triggers. You know how we know he’s been brainwashed…how down right TERRIFIED AIDA was of Radcliffe talking to him. That Jemma was taken out of the picture even before she could be a factor in his life. That AIDA boasted that she had manipulated this world and those in it to meet her needs and wants. Yes, she fixed a regret but each regret built on her fantasy.
With Fitz this goes well beyond fixing a regret. I still believe that initially making him the son his father wanted was just step one in AIDA’s process. AIDA took him as her own.
Everyone is Dark:
We’re not done yet here guys. We have more oh please no moment coming with everyone coming. And yes, Fitz is one of the most drastically different and one they are making sure to highlight but I am uncomfortable with everyone.
- Coulson: Yes he’s breaking thanks to Tahiti but he still let Hydra take off with one of his own students. The big reason I think we have Coulson back is he is getting that “you did make a difference/Shield needs you arc here”. Mace is not the leader that Shield needs…he wasn’t in the real world and he won’t be here.
- Mace: I am really worried about this version of Mace. While he is doing the right thing I’m afraid he’s going to do some things in that quest that aren’t good. Not to mention that he is a massive threat to the lives of May and Fitz. He will kill either one of them given a chance. He almost reminds me of Jaiying a little here with the “One of us” comment from the promo especially makes me thing of this.
- Mack: He will do ANYTHING to protect his daughter (and low key worried how he found the Resistance so easily here guys). He sold out Daisy. But what was very interesting was his view on Inhumans. When we first met Mack he was ‘against’ them for lack of a better word. It was work with Daisy, Coulson, and Shield that helped him change his mind and become one of their greatest protectors.
- May: Has been twisted as much as Fitz has. She has been in there the longest. Gone through the most ‘reboots’ of the Framework. It was her team that beat up Daisy. It was her that manipulated Mack using Hope. She is number 3 in Hydra and is a huge threat to her own team as well as a target.
- Ward: So leery of Ward. I really fear Jemma will be who he betrays again. And its also interesting he could have gotten a shot on Madame Hydra there…#1….instead aimed for Fitz Hydras #2. Just saying guys…our master manipulators might be at work again here. For him if it comes down to giving up Jemma to save Skye…he’s going to give up Jemma to save Skye. Just as Mack gave up Daisy to save Hope.
They are their own worst enemies:
AIDA is likely the worst villain they have gone up against, a horrid culmination of everyone they have faced before. She isn’t dumb she built this world for HER. She is using loopholes to her advantage. Otherwise I firmly feel that everyone but Fitz would already be dead. So since she had to keep them alive she manipulated (even bragged to Radcliffe that she’d done it) those regrets for her gain.
She also has been in everyone’s heads. She’s been around the team before. She knows they are the biggest threat to her when they are working together as a team. So she either split them up or turned them on each other.
She has also made them each others dragons. It is clear now AIDA is in Madame Hydra. She knows right where Mace and the Playground is but allows the Resistance to continue because it feeds into the manipulation. Especially with Fitz, its another thing he has to protect her from.
I discussed in my meta last night that AIDA seems to be trying to make it so the team won’t ‘want’ to save Fitz (more lies, more manipulation). Here he’s The Doctor, Mace won’t bat and eye if he can kill him Isn’t going to give Jemma the resources she needs to get him alive. AIDA has painted Jemma as the villain. Leaving Jemma pretty much alone now in trying to save him (oh look another parallel). She has Coulson for now but I’m betting he will be pulled away too soon by saving Daisy or getting to May.
She took Fitz as her own:
A lot of what AIDA has done was to build this world how she wanted. To get who and what she wanted, and she wanted Fitz. Someone who would love and protect her. Made her happy. Her interaction with Radcliffe very telling. We said that Fitz treating her like a person would come back…and boy has it ever. She also wanted someone that loved and protected her like Fitz did with Jemma…so she took Jemma’s place. May too, she’s ‘rewarded’ May with a high position because I believe May respected her, liked her, called her brave.
But in taking Fitz in so many ways we really do have an epic love story set up here. Jemma is going to have to fight to get him back. I feel like part of that whole spectacle on the island with Agnes was for show. That AIDA knew Jemma was there set up that whole thing with Agnes so Fitz would see it. Try to shake Jemma, make her think that he was too far gone,. It also took away the little support Jemma had found. Leaving her alone in trying to save him. AIDA is scared as heck of Jemma and her saving him.
AIDA also doesn’t have him fully yet. Fitz says he would cross the universe for her but he HAS done it for Jemma.
Fitz is in there:
In the horror of feels that was last night we saw Fitz peeking through more than once. And every single time we saw it it was because Jemma was in the mix either in person or in a picture. And only with Jemma, May, Daisy, and Radcliffe had no effect (though Radcliffe planted seeds, very important seeds).
Aside for Coulson who is aided by Tahiti we haven’t seen anyone else ‘break through” at all.
- May: Came into contact with Fitz, Daisy, and Mack…nothing.
- Mace: Came into contact with Jemma, Mack, and Coulson…nothing.
- Mack: Came into contact with Daisy, May, Mace, and Coulson…nothing.
Engagement is Endgame:
When we look back at interviews from Loeb, Jed, and Mo they have been hinting at this arc all season. And they have been setting up an engagement for Fitzsimmons all season too.
“This young man as you have never seen him before” that was what Leob said at SDCC and also where we first heard the ‘reward’ talk. And we have seen them pay off everything so far. And coupled with the timing of Jed’s quote in EW, engagement coming up in 15, hints all season, and getting their middle names. I think once they are out they aren’t going to risk it again.
“It could happen. If they ever get back together, that’s something that could happen in their future.”
And I’m sorry to say this but this is TV, A drama at that, we have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get this kind of pay off. That is part of why we are now tearing our hair out and crying until Jemma gets him back. And when she does the pay off will be worth it. Look at what we got after Hogface.
AOS has never ‘dealt’ with trauma and recovery very well. Even Daisy’s recovery a victim of the Ghost Rider Arc. It is often done over hiatus or “off camera. Now we have a situation where its the whole cast that will have things to deal with. So yes, we will miss seeing it but because we don’t see it doesn’t mean it won’t happen.
We can also have the healing ‘begin’ in the Framework, especially for Fitz as he helps get everyone out or plays a part in stopping AIDA once as for all.
Sorry that was a lot but I hope it helps. Just remember its always Darkest before the Dawn and our Sunrise is coming guys.