Hi, I’m the anon who asked about you giving critique… This is my oc Cole (the snowshoe cat)… This is the only full body reference I have atm- I made it just the flats, so that it might be easier to critique.
anyways here’s some info on him to help your critique; he lives in Holoska (which is basically Canada), has hydro-kenisis and I didn’t give him much to wear because most male sonic character don’t wear much. Just gloves and shoes.
Ps. If you’re going to tag me- tag me as “cript-art-blog”. Its the blog I usually use- its just happens to not be my main. (I wanted my ask blog to be)
Okay sorry for the long, long delay on this. You sent this to me back when I did that bottlenose redesign thing, so I’m guessing you wanted me to give similar input for your character (”How to make it look more SEGASonicish”).
These are just my personal thoughts, and this is your character so take from it what you will!
I didn’t draw the full body because it wasn’t important towards the points I was going to make, sorry if that looks odd.
- I emphasized the star like shape the fur was making around the head. I always think with Sonic characters that it’s a good idea to find a strong shape and work with it. You could also turn the ends of the ‘points’ of the stars upwards a bit to be more like your original design, but I just wanted to emphasize the star-like quality.
- I like the mask you did around the eyes a lot. Very snowshoe and adds visual interest to the face. The only thing I really changed was to make it more flush with the shape of the eyes. Think of how Marine’s eyemask follows her eyes.
- I made the ruff around the neck more ‘poofy’ and going around the entire neck. I’m trying to invoke sort of the concept of a wooly jacket hood, since the character is a Holoska native.
- I also added the fluff to the gloves and boots, but I’m thinking the colour may have been better white rather than lavender, or even a pale tan? But anyway I was trying to make the gloves and boots look somewhat heavy duty- gotta keep those extremities warm. Since Sonic characters don’t generally wear a lot of clothing, you need to work with the articles you do get.
- I tufted the tail, a bit like Blaze’s. There’s really nothing wrong with the blunted tail, but SEGASonic characters don’t really do that and this is slightly more visually interesting/ties with the head shape better.
- Small, small detail, but on the legs (and would have on the arms if it weren’t covered) I made the markings begin just a little down the leg and not immediately at where the leg joins the body. It helps emphasize the limbs as being ‘part’ of the body and not placed ‘onto’ the body, if that makes sense.
- … I changed the colour pallete, obviously. A big thing I see fanartists do is use more natural colours for their characters. I’ve done it before myself, so I’m not saying ‘never do it’. But as a rule of thumb Sonic characters aren’t coloured anything like their natural counterparts. I picked a desaturated blue and purples for your character because they gave an ‘icy’ or even slightly ‘aurora borelias’ feel, to tie into the Holoska thing. It also played well with the teals of your character’s clothing.
I hope that helps you out. Like I said, it’s your character so you’re free to do as you wish. You can use any of these ideas or ignore all of them, that’s up to you :)