i ship heather and valencia (as anyone who's seen five seconds of them interacting should) but as much as i love them together i haven't really seen the evidence on the show that they might be heading in that direction forreal that a lot of people seem to. am i being completely blind here? what would you point to as being the most obvious romantic moments between them? just curious and wanting a second opinion, no pressure to answer :)
most people i know in the fandom – myself included – don’t see heather/valencia as an inevitability, rather something we really really really want. that hope is intense, but of course we don’t know what the writers have planned.
as for scenes that obviously spell out romance, i’d point out that f/f relationships are often read as strong friendships and nothing more by the majority of television consumers. a large part of that trend can be blamed on the fact that there aren’t many models for what f/f attraction looks like, and the examples that are out there don’t always do a great job of communicating the actual experiences of wlw. so what might look like obvious romance between heather and valencia to some would look like nothing more than a supportive friendship to others. it’s the way our brains have been wired to read f/f relationships. the possibility of anything more than friendship simply doesn’t occur to some people.
the aspects of the heather/valencia relationship that make me read them as more than friends include:
- their unwavering support and encouragement of each other (“you’re really good at this”)
- they’re considerate of each other’s feelings (“wait, no, i should not be talking to you about this”)
- the fact that they listen to each other’s problems ( “truth is, i actually don’t know what to do with my life right now”…“that sounds really hard”)
- their constant silent communication (if they’re in a scene with each other, they always share at least one meaningful look…they are each other’s touchstone)
- “i always knew i liked you”
sure these things could be read as friendship…but is friendship not an excellent foundation upon which to build romantic love? a good friendship can make for an excellent partnership and i happen to believe that heather and valencia would make some of the best partners.
plus? they’re really attractive people and i happen to enjoy watching attractive people with a deep emotional connection make out with each other.
i don’t know if this answered your question, but i’m always happy to discuss h/v with fellow shippers. so thanks for asking!